Daily Devotional for January 17, 2011

Romans 12:2
Don't be like the people of this world, but let God change the way you think. Then you will know how to do everything that is good and pleasing to him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A student from my very first class of first graders wrote on Facebook over the weekend about a conversation with his 7-year-old, second-grade son. The conversation was about Martin Luther King, Jr. My now-grown student asked his son what he learned about Dr. King, and the little boy said he learned that “brown” people were not allowed to sit up front, had to use different bathrooms, and that the home of Dr. King’s parents was bombed. He asked, “Did you know that, Daddy?” My student asked his son, “Why do you think they did this?” and the little boy said, “Because they were mad at them.”

My student continued in his post – and again on his personal blog – to discuss how sad he is that like many of us, he grew up in a community where… “I never saw a face in school or anywhere else in town that was not Caucasian - unless you count the folks who owned the local Chinese restaurant.” He and I – and others – commiserated that our own childhood attitudes toward those of other races and ethnicities was influenced in large part by the racial isolation of our upbringing. Things are somewhat different in our area of the country now, but not greatly. For many, our true introduction to people of other races, ethnicities, and cultures comes when we move away to attend college.

Although I heard plenty of talk around me, I never grew up with negative feelings toward others of any race, creed, or color. When we moved to Oklahoma for a few months during my fifth-grade year, my best friend was a full-blooded Indian girl named Leona. In college, some of my closest friends were black. And while Dr. King had paved the way toward more tolerance and acceptance of others, I still saw tremendous evidence of inequality in the late 1970’s when I attended college.

My student teaching experience was a prime example of this. The kindergarten teacher to whom I was assigned for a little more than four weeks left for maternity leave one week after I arrived in her classroom. Another teacher was hired to replace her, but in a dramatic shift on Friday afternoon, word came from the administration office that “a black face must be behind the desk on Monday.” The “quota” for an integrated faculty was low. A girl who had graduated just a few weeks earlier – and student taught the previous semester in this same elementary school – was flown in from South Carolina, where she had moved with her son. On Monday morning, Deborah was my new “mentor.”

The sad part is that Deborah had not had a good student teaching experience. The principal had tried to intervene and change this, but the attitudes were so strong that she faced an uphill battle. She told me, “You will have to help each other.” And that’s what we did. As I look back on this situation, I see how God orchestrated the details. My mother was already a kindergarten teacher, so making lesson plans and pulling the classroom together was easy for me. I knew Deborah from classes we had shared, and I liked her. There were some volatile situations with angry parents, and I was able to help mediate… to serve as a bridge in the gap. And all too soon, my time in that kindergarten classroom was over… but not before Deborah had settled in and some of the anger had diffused.

I honestly don’t know what happened to Deborah after that year. We moved back to Heber Springs, and I lost touch. But I do know that, sadly, a lot of attitudes have not changed much in 34 years. There would still be parents today who would throw a royal fit if this same situation occurred. Too many people are listening to the attitudes, prejudices and fears of the people of this world.

Maya Angelou says, “When you know better, you do better.” Unfortunately, in this arena, that’s not always the case. But it can be. We do know better. We know that God created people of all races, creeds and colors… and all are precious to Him. We are no different in God’s eyes than our neighbors from Africa, the Native Americans, those of Asian descent, and others. When we were little, we sang, “Jesus loves the little children… red and yellow, black and white - they are precious in His sight.” But do we believe this? Have we listened to God and let Him change our mind? Don’t we want to please our Heavenly Father and do everything that is good? Isn’t today a perfect time to let God change the way you think?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: