Daily Devotional for December 10, 2015

Ecclesiastes 12:12-14
But, my son, be warned: there is no end of opinions ready to be expressed. Studying them can go on forever and become very exhausting!

Here is my final conclusion: fear God and obey his commandments, for this is the entire duty of man. For God will judge us for everything we do, including every hidden thing, good or bad.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

In recent weeks, I have gained a whole new perspective on opinions…particularly when it comes to the medical community.  Everyone has one…”My doctor is the best!”…”This procedure is the right/wrong one”…”Go here or there”…”See him or her”…”Take this drug”…”Don’t take that one!”  It’s mind-boggling and numbing…not to mention frustrating! 

In my mother’s battle with cancer, she has experienced all of this – and more.  And at the end of the day, she says, “Nothing is going to work except God's healing hand.”  There is tremendous peace in this declaration.  When we have wrestled, massaged, mangled and worried our lives to the “Nth degree,” it is comforting to let go and give everything to God.

So where does the “fear God” part of this scripture passage come into play?  First, we have to understand that the term “fear” in this application does not necessarily mean to be afraid.  In this context, it means to revere, adore, respect, and hold God in highest esteem...to serve Him wholeheartedly and obediently in all things - at all times. We must trust God in all circumstances, with the confidence that we have followed His commands and ministered to others in Jesus’ name to the very best of our abilities.

I have to tell you…I am far from having it all together.  I sin…I make mistakes…I can get into some of the biggest messes.  But I love God, and I do my dead-level best to serve Him completely each and every day.  Someday, when I stand before Him, I will have to answer for everything I’ve ever thought, said, or done.  But I don’t fear this in the least.  I know that the greatest moment of all will be when I hear God say to me… “You were washed clean by the blood of Jesus…you are totally forgiven.  All past mistakes are wiped away.”

It is with this confidence and peace that I am able to echo my mother’s words – for her AND in numerous other situations - and say, “Nothing is going to work except God’s healing hand.”  With this ringing in my ears, I forge ahead each day, do what I know God is calling me to do…and let Him handle the rest.  God’s opinion is the only one that matters.  Whose opinions are guiding you these days?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: