Daily Devotional for December 26, 2015

Luke 1:46-50
Mary said: With all my heart I praise the Lord, and I am glad because of God my Savior. He cares for me, his humble servant.

From now on, all people will say God has blessed me. God All-Powerful has done great things for me, and his name is holy. He always shows mercy to everyone who worships him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have quite the Christmas nativity collection, and I love to display it each year in our piano room.  A few years ago, I acquired several porcelain “Madonnas,” and I now proudly display those alongside the full nativity sets.  At first, I thought it was a little strange to add the Madonnas.  But I have to say, as I have studied scripture over the years and pondered the circumstances of Jesus’ “conception,” I have grown quite fascinated with Mary, the mother of Jesus. 

In the first place, Mary was probably all of age 13 or 14 at best…and yet, she exhibited tremendous maturity – especially for a young girl who was “disgraced” with an unwed pregnancy.  The fact that she quickly recognized the importance of what God was placing on her – and humbly accepted it – astounds me.  Knowing that she might be ostracized by Joseph AND her entire family because of this…yet praising God for His “blessing”…is nothing short of incredible.

After studying other Biblical accounts of Mary and how she “mothered” Jesus, I have gained a newfound respect for her – and for her tremendous level of faith.  I ask myself sometimes, “Could you even come close to operating at this level, if you were presented with Mary’s circumstances?”  I simply don’t know if I would really have her fortitude and confidence.  I’d like to think so…but what this young woman was asked to do was truly extraordinary.

What God is asking us to do pales in comparison to what He asked of Mary.  Yet many of us are hesitant…full of excuses…and fearful.  We see the things that God asks us to do as burdens – not blessings.  We want to know “What’s in it for me?”  We are anything but ready to step up and out and say, “With all my heart, I praise the Lord” – and eagerly accept His assignments.

But we can take a page from Mary’s book. We can begin to trust God more - and change how we look at the things He asks of us. We can take on a more positive, worshipful, and grateful persona…and look for the blessings in the things that we are called to do…rather than the challenges and roadblocks.  We can trust God and fear less…and we can begin today.

Are you ready to emulate the Madonna?  Are you prepared to risk everything to gain even more?  Will this be the Christmas season that you begin to throw your fears to the wind and say, “It’s all in or nothing with God…and I’m ready to go all in!”?  Isn’t it time you made this level of commitment? If a teenage girl can do it, why can’t we?
 

©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: