Daily Devotional for December 5, 2015

Colossians 3:22
Servants, do what you’re told by your earthly masters. And don’t just do the minimum that will get you by. Do your best. Work from the heart for your real Master, for God, confident that you’ll get paid in full when you come into your inheritance. Keep in mind always that the ultimate Master you’re serving is Christ. The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

My friend Shelton said the other day, “You are not wasting your retirement time, Deb…I am envious.”  Shelton still runs a printing business…and he does plenty in his “off hours” to see after his mother and several other family members and friends.  But it made me think about what we do with our time.  And I was once again reminded that every second belongs to God…and even the most mundane of “chores” deserve our best work.

I have said often that when I was teaching kindergarten, I wish that I had better realized how holy that work was…how important it was to be a light for Christ every minute of the day to each one of those precious children.  I know that I did my best at the time.  But as my relationship with Jesus has deepened over the years, I realize how much more I could have done.  Don’t let this be said of you!

In everything you do, give your all.  Do not allow yourself to “get by” with shoddy work.  Recognize that everything you do to keep your household afloat – from shopping to cooking, cleaning and laundry – is serving not only yourself and your family – but God, as well.  Whatever your “paid position” may be…work as if God Himself were paying you - because ultimately, He is.

Regardless of what you do with your day, do it to the glory of God.  Even when you rest, remember that you are storing up energy to be able to serve God better afterward. One section of this passage really resonated with me…
“The sullen servant who does shoddy work will be held responsible. Being a follower of Jesus doesn’t cover up bad work.” 

Remember that as a faith-filled Christian, you are a representative of Jesus Christ…always, and in all ways.  Do your best to continually give Him “good work” and a joyful attitude - filled with gratitude for His blessings, humility for the privilege of serving Him, and confidence that He is using you to make a difference.  Examine your “work” and make sure it is never shoddy…and give God the glory for all that He is able to accomplish because of your faithfulness.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: