Daily Devotional for December 19, 2015

Jeremiah 32:40
And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, promising never again to desert them but only to do them good. I will put a desire into their hearts to worship me, and they shall never leave me.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

When I was seven, my dad worked on a construction crew in southeast Arkansas.  He would get up before daylight on Monday mornings and drive several hours to be at work on time…then on Friday evenings, he would drive home for the weekend.  Sometimes we visited him on the weekends at the little house he rented through the week. I absolutely HATED this. I know that this a strong word to use, but it’s the truth!  I cried every Sunday night when he tucked me into bed, knowing that he would be gone when I woke up the next morning.  I begged him to stay home with us…and after several months, Daddy did come home.

My dad tried to explain to me that he needed this job…that he did this so that our family could have the things we needed…and extras like the horse that I loved so much at my grandparent’s farm.  But when you are seven, the world does not seem logical in the least…and this did not make a lick of sense to me.  All I knew was that my daddy was not there most of the time.

When I was ten, my dad moved our family to Oklahoma for six months for another construction job.  The pay was good – and for the first time ever, my mother didn’t have to work.  But my sister, brother and I were miserable.  We missed our home in Arkansas – and our family (even though family members or friends visited us all but maybe one or two of the weekends of that six months). My then six-year-old brother was so homesick that he was physically ill much of that time…and many nights, he cried to go home.  I know the struggle between staying “on the road,” where my dad made a great wage, and going home to lower-paying jobs must have been very hard for my parents.  But in the end, we did return home.

I tell you all of this to explain that the sense of “abandonment” is powerful…whether it is a child who longs for the comforts and security of the home he/she has known since birth...to the boy whose parents are carted off to jail while DHS finds a suitable “substitute family” until things can be ironed out…to a little girl whose dad packs his things and leaves his family to start a new life with another family – without so much as a backward glance…or the kid who waits after school for a parent to pick him/her up – and nobody shows.

So it is easy for me to understand the potential “fear” that God might turn His back on us.  You may not have ever been “abandoned” or “deserted” per se, but if you have ever experienced any situation that involved a profound loss (and now, I’ve probably covered everyone!), you can better understand the deep-seated emptiness and pain that comes from feeling like someone has left you.

HEAR THE GOOD NEWS…GOD NEVER LEAVES US!  He never goes off to work in another town or sends us packing to a strange place away from our “family.”  He never chooses someone else over us or does anything to cause a family breakup.  If you are a child of God, you will NEVER be an orphan! You are never out of His sight! Given this knowledge, why would you ever want to walk away from God – for even a minute? 

The God who would never abandon you wants to know that YOU would never do the same to Him.  Are you ready to make this commitment, once and for all? Will this be the day that you do?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: