Daily Devotional for December 3, 2015

2 Timothy 1:6-8
...I want to remind you to stir into flame the strength and boldness that is in you, that entered into you when I laid my hands upon your head and blessed you. For the Holy Spirit, God’s gift, does not want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong, and to love them and enjoy being with them.

If you will stir up this inner power, you will never be afraid to tell others about our Lord or to let them know that I am your friend even though I am here in jail for Christ’s sake. You will be ready to suffer with me for the Lord, for he will give you strength in suffering.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
       
In October 2014, I shared some of my Mam-ma Polly’s prized “Kentucky Wonder” bean seeds with friends who were visiting from Pennsylvania.  These friends are gardening enthusiasts extraordinaire!  They planted the seeds last summer and harvested a bumper crop of beans.  And a couple of days ago, a squishy padded envelope arrived in our mailbox – dried beans that our friends returned to us with best wishes for a good crop of our own next year.  I shared this story with my mother, and we agreed that my Mam-ma Polly would be tickled pink by this.  To her, “Kentucky Wonder” beans were like gold!

This got me thinking about my Mam-ma Polly.  She’s been on my mind a lot lately.  My grandmother was not afraid to speak her mind – about anything!  As I noted at her funeral, she was a mess – but she was our mess!  For all of the 56 years that I knew her, my Mam-ma Polly was never shy about sharing Jesus with others.  She did this in direct ways…and in subtle gestures.  Her table always had room for one more.  When she met a new neighbor, her first question was always, “Where do you go to church?”  She cared for the sick, shared with the needy, and prayed without ceasing.  She was an extraordinary role model for love of others and Christian discipleship…and I am blessed by her legacy.

In this letter from the Apostle Paul, we see him encourage Timothy to be bold and courageous…to call on the strength and inner power of God’s Holy Spirit as he represented the love and mercy of Jesus Christ to others.  And this is what we are called to do.  This is a season of generosity…of sharing love and giving to others.  We seem to find it easier to do this in December as we “get in the Christmas mood.”  But we need to expand our boldness and discipleship to the other eleven months as well.

It’s easier to share Jesus in these holiday weeks.  We smile more…we say “Merry Christmas” and display signage on everything from ornaments to sweatshirts that says, “Jesus is the Reason for the Season.”  We give to charities, bake goodies for friends and acquaintances, and carefully select gifts for everyone from family members to co-workers and needy children.  We attend programs that proclaim the “Joy to the World” of Jesus’ coming.  We generally demonstrate in ways great and small how much we love Jesus - and how glad we are to celebrate His birth.

My challenge for all of us is to take a page from my Mam-ma Polly’s book and extend this spirit to encompass the entire year.  Let’s be more bold and courageous in our demonstrations of Christian faith and love.  Let’s do whatever it takes to become more comfortable sharing our story and telling others what Jesus has done in our lives.  This may require some practice…but I can tell you, repetition does make it easier!  Let’s get in the pattern of smiling more and representing the joy that comes from the peace of our salvation and faith in Jesus.

Even something as simple as the exchange of some pole bean seed can be an act of Christian love and discipleship.  I shared one of my grandmother’s most prized possessions with friends…and they reciprocated.  This opened the door for dialog and the exchange of love and friendship halfway across the country…and that’s sometimes all it takes to allow others to see Jesus in us…and to spur a deeper discussion of Christian faith. 

So get started…just jump in with both feet and do it!  Reach out to someone with a smile and a kind word or gesture, and see where God takes you.  Love people and genuinely enjoy being with them…and discover where and how God will stir the flame of boldness to further His Kingdom.


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: