Daily Devotional for December 27, 2015

Luke 12:4-5
My friends, don’t be afraid of people. They can kill you, but after that, there is nothing else they can do. God is the one you must fear. Not only can he take your life, but he can throw you into hell. God is certainly the one you should fear!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A friend texted me a photo this morning of a newspaper headline…”Swedes charge toward becoming cashless culture.”  Her comment was, “Yikes! Armageddon!”  I replied…”If Armageddon comes, we won’t be here!”  I didn’t mean to be flip…but honestly, I give little concern to “end times” news, because if/when it happens, I don’t plan to stick around!  My prayer is that no one I know and love will be left, either!

There are a plenty of mortal things for us to fear, if we want to go that route.  Greg’s brother continues to struggle after the car wreck in which he was involved six days ago.  Each day brings new wrinkles/challenges…and he is still quite critical.  Yet I refuse to be fearful.  God is in complete control…my brother-in-law is securely His child and guaranteed a “seat at the Table” in heaven…and all will be well.

My mother is not improving as I had hoped - from pneumonia or the late-stage cancer that is taking its toll on her physical health.  But again, I know that she is one of God’s precious children…that He is meeting her every need according to His plans and timetable…and I am not the least bit fearful.

I am still battling a “cold bug”…and now Greg has it!  But I know that this, too, shall pass.  God is allowing us to rest and regroup today…and I know that He is numbering our steps and will restore our health in due season. So I am taking it easy and trusting the Great Physician to handle everything for me.

It is quite freeing to “let go and let God” handle these situations. When we surrender our fears to God and rest in His perfect care, we quickly realize that a lot of the situations that made us so stressed and “crazy” really have no power over us.  If we give God complete control and trust Him, we have nothing to fear whatsoever – not even Him - because we know that we are operating in His will and trusting His sovereignty.

Now, if you happen to see me having a meltdown at some point over one of these situations or something else…do not rush to judge me!  We are, after all, human beings.  So perfection is a noble goal…but none of us will ever be completely accomplished in this area!  Still, we can keep working…and praying…and believing.  And we can let God do the heavy lifting. 

In his first inaugural address in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt offered wisdom and encouragement to the people of our nation.  These words are just as powerful for us today and sum up much of what I believe.  Please take time to read them and ponder how graciously – and perfectly – God is handling our fears – even when we fail to fully give them to Him. 

“...let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.

...our distress comes from no failure of substance. We are stricken by no plague of locusts. Compared with the perils which our forefathers conquered because they believed and were not afraid, we have still much to be thankful for. Nature still offers her bounty and human efforts have multiplied it.

...we humbly ask the blessing of God. May He protect each and every one of us. May He guide me in the days to come.”
Make this the day that you completely surrender your fears to God – once and for all – and discover how well He cares for your every need.

©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: