Daily Devotional for December 6, 2015

Daniel 10:12
Then he said, “Don’t be frightened, Daniel, for your request has been heard in heaven and was answered the very first day you began to fast before the Lord and pray for understanding; that very day I was sent here to meet you.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

It’s time for a little confession…this morning, things just did not come together like I had hoped.  Several circumstances beyond my control weighed heavily on me…my mother’s battle with cancer…family members who do not believe in Jesus…two dear, young friends who appear to be losing their battles with cancer, just to name a few.  I shuffled to the kitchen to pour another cup of coffee, and I said, “Lord, I can’t fix this. These are all things beyond my control.” And I honestly heard Him laugh. I stopped dead in my tracks as I realized the absurdity of my thought. It was as if I audibly heard God say, “You are not supposed to control or fix these things!  Leave that to me!”

I sat down to look up a scripture for this devotional, and I was not surprised to read these words…”your request has been heard in heaven and was answered the very first day...”  I turned on the television, and Joel Osteen was preaching about keeping the faith, speaking and believing the things that GOD will do for us. He shared a story of faithfulness over his own grandfather, and how family members who had given their hearts to Jesus believed for the salvation of this man – and he came to know the LORD. When this grandfather Osteen died, the suit in which he was buried had pockets stuffed with tracts that he passed out to others to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Joel Osteen made this comment…”He’s [God] got it all figured out.  You don’t have to worry – God has ya in the palm of His hand.  He’s not going to fail you. He is faithful to His promises. Your family is coming together. The dream may look too big – keep believing.  It’s coming together…God has a way.  When you realize that God’s in control…that He’s directing your steps…that He’s already lined up everything you need…then you can relax.  You don’t have to go through life trying to make it all happen on your own…worried about your children…frustrated because it’s taking too long…discouraged because a dream looks dead.”

“Keep reminding yourself…the sovereign LORD…the God who breathed life into you…the God who knew you before you were born…the God who has planned out your days for good…the God who has protected you, promoted you, healed you…the same God that brought you to where you are – He’s gonna get you to where you’re supposed to be.  It may take a little longer than you thought it ought to be…but that’s okay.  God’s timing is the perfect time.”

Osteen continued by saying that things may not happen the way we planned…”But God’s ways are better than our ways.”  I took a collective breath, checked myself for thinking I was “all that” and actually COULD control/fix anything on my own…and I thanked God for His sovereignty and perfection.  I reminded myself that He has heard my requests – over and over!  And just like those of Daniel so long ago, God has heard my petitions and answered my prayers…beautifully, perfectly, and in His indisputable timing.

The sermon concluded with Pastor Osteen saying that, “You don’t have to worry…you don’t have to live stressed out.  God is directing your steps.  He controls the whole universe…you can stay in a place of peace.”  I am free to go about my day now, secure once again in the knowledge that GOD has my back…that He is watching over me and orchestrating every single minute of my life – and the lives of my friends and loved ones.  He is doing this for YOU, also.  Your job is to recognize His presence and power…and to trust Him to handle every aspect of your life.

Now I ask you…what are you still trying to fix on your own?  Isn’t it time you gave this to the One who has already handled it?  Will this be the day that you let go of your fears and let God have complete control, once and for all? Shouldn’t it be?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: