Daily Devotional for December 11, 2011

John 19: 25-27
Jesus' mother stood beside his cross with her sister and Mary the wife of Clopas. Mary Magdalene was standing there too. When Jesus saw his mother and his favorite disciple with her, he said to his mother, "This man is now your son." Then he said to the disciple, "She is now your mother." From then on, that disciple took her into his own home.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I have a collection of nativity scenes that I display on my piano and other areas of my piano room each Christmas. This collection includes probably a dozen “nativity” Christmas ornaments that hang on our big tree, as well. Numbering well over 50 sets, my collection would be considered out of control by some. But for me, setting out my nativities is one of the highlights of the Christmas season.

In recent years, I began to acquire the occasional Madonna figurine at auctions and sales, and these began to find a home in my display. I am not one who prays to the Virgin Mary. I do not believe she has the Divine Power of Jesus or our Heavenly Father. But I do respect her as a very important person in Christian history. And as I have “mothered” little Timothy often in the last two years, I have come to better understand her position – her sacrifices – and her deep, abiding faith.

I am not sure I could have accepted Mary’s mission. When the angel appeared and said, “You are going to bear a baby, even though you are a virgin and it could very well cost you your reputation and your fiancĂ©,” I might have said, “Whoa… hang on there! I think I’ll pass!” But scripture says that Mary accepted the angel’s declaration – in fact, she welcomed it! She trusted God to work out the details… and He did.

I am pretty sure I could not have followed my son - who was beaten almost beyond recognition - up the hill to Calvary and watch as soldiers drove spikes through his hands and feet and hung him on a cross to die. Yet Mary endured this and stayed with Jesus until the very end of His earthly life.

Yes, I have a newfound respect for Mary in recent years. When I look at my figurines that are supposed to remind me of her, I am indeed reminded of the incredible faith that she exhibited. Each Christmas season, as I display my nativity scenes and remember the birth of Jesus, I will look at my Madonna figurines and remind myself that God can do incredible things, if only we will trust Him. I may never have true Mother Mary faith… but I can keep trying. Will you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: