Daily Devotional for December 19, 2011

Psalm 146:1-5
Shout praises to the LORD! With all that I am, I will shout his praises. I will sing and praise the LORD God for as long as I live. You can't depend on anyone, not even a great leader. Once they die and are buried, that will be the end of all their plans.

The LORD God of Jacob blesses everyone who trusts him and depends on him.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

When I was a little girl, there was a man in our community everyone knew as “Preacher Mullen”. I knew him better as Santa Claus. Long before I came into this world, Otis “Preacher” Mullen began dressing as Santa Claus each winter. His long white beard and hair were the real deal. He drove a Jeep… and attached to the front were two real, mounted deer. I was quite sure that one of them was Rudolph, even if he didn’t have a red, shiny nose. We would see Santa Claus around town, and he usually made a visit to the school to pass out candy canes to all of us.

My last recollection of Santa Claus Mullen was 1977… my first year to teach after graduating from college. I am a little fuzzy on whether Santa Claus was making his annual visit to the school or whether I personally invited him to come to my classroom, but I do know he made a visit and passed out the candy canes. I have a picture to prove it! I was thrilled to be able to share the same fond memory of my own childhood with my little six-year-old students.

Preacher Mullen died in 1983 in a local nursing home. He had served as Santa Claus to a seven-county area for decades – and as the actual pastor to many congregations, as well. He truly believed that it was better to give than to receive… and he served his LORD well. I am amazed to consider how many lives he touched with the simple act of passing a candy cane to the hands of “children” of all ages. Santa Claus Mullen is being remembered on a local Facebook page by many generations of those children.

By my calculation, Preacher Mullen’s visit to my first-grade classroom was probably one of his last. We haven’t had such a “character” in our community since… and honestly, I don’t know if anyone could truly fill Preacher Mullen’s shoes, anyway. His was a service borne of a desire to share God’s deep abiding love with others. Santa Claus was merely his vehicle.

There is such an important message in this passage of scripture. Life is ever changing. People are here one day and gone the next. The person we depended on for so much… a parent, grandparent, spouse, relative, teacher, friend, or even our church leaders… live in earthly bodies that will eventually die. We have to put our everlasting faith in Someone who will never leave us… Jesus Christ. There is nothing wrong with trusting those in our circle… sharing our hopes, fears, joys and burdens. But unless we place an even deeper trust in Jesus, we stand to be perpetually discouraged and disappointed.

I miss seeing Preacher Mullen during the Christmas season. I miss his little red Jeep and the “reindeer”. But more than that, I miss his spirit… his hearty laugh, his ever-present smile, and the genuine love that he seemed to radiate. In thinking of him each Christmas, I am reminded of the unconditional, unending love of Jesus Christ for all of His children. I am pretty sure that Otis “Preacher” Mullen – a.k.a. “Santa Claus” – would tell us to put our faith and trust in HIM… to depend on His love, grace and mercy to truly sustain us… and to praise Him each and every day as long as we live.

We would also do well to try to emulate Santa Claus Mullen in some small way… to share God’s love with others in something as seemingly small as a candy cane - or whatever vehicle God gives us. The best way to honor the blessings of God is to share them with others, just as Otis “Preacher” Mullen did. How will you accomplish this? How will you praise God this Christmas season… and always?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: