Daily Devotional for December 13, 2011

John 19:38-42
Joseph from Arimathea was one of Jesus' disciples. He had kept it secret though, because he was afraid of the Jewish leaders. But now he asked Pilate to let him have Jesus' body. Pilate gave him permission, and Joseph took it down from the cross.

Nicodemus also came with about seventy-five pounds of spices made from myrrh and aloes. This was the same Nicodemus who had visited Jesus one night. The two men wrapped the body in a linen cloth, together with the spices, which was how the Jewish people buried their dead. In the place where Jesus had been nailed to a cross, there was a garden with a tomb that had never been used. The tomb was nearby, and since it was the time to prepare for the Sabbath, they were in a hurry to put Jesus' body there.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

For weeks now, an acquaintance who belongs to my church has posted on Facebook about her journey with her dad, who suffered a stroke several months ago. She talked about how she had been away from home for weeks on end, sitting by his bedside in a hospital and rehab facility in nearby cities. She lamented missing many of the activities surrounding her daughter’s activities as part of the high school homecoming court and other events. And many of us have encouraged her, prayed for her, and sent her “virtual hugs.” But I have to tell you, after only six days of sitting with my grandmother in the hospital, I sent this friend an apology. Hospital sitting/caregiving is exhausting – and often lonely… and I was not sympathetic enough toward this friend in her lengthy ordeal.

Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea could easily have said, “I’m so sorry Jesus is dead… I will pray for His family.” They could have gone on their way and never looked back. They could have asked, “What will others think if I get involved? Will they misinterpret my actions and think I’m a busybody? Do I really have time for this? Can I afford to step in and help? Do I really know Jesus and His family well enough to ask for His dead body?”

The bottom line is that Nicodemus and Joseph operated out of great love and care in taking responsibility for Jesus’ remains. The tenderness and thoughtfulness they showed in preparing this mangled, maimed shell that had housed our Heavenly Father are in many ways a direct mandate for all of us. We can all do more to help others… to notice their needs and meet them.

How can we apply this to our own lives and those in need around us? Make a phone call or send a personal note or e-mail to ask, “How are you doing? Could I do something to help?” – and mean it! Those in need may be hesitant to ask for help, but you can contact them and say, “I’m headed to the grocery store… could I pick up anything for you?” Call and let them know that, “I’m bringing you a burger,” or “I made cookies or banana bread… could I bring you a tray?” Offer to pick up kids at school or walk the dog. If the person in need is a close friend or relative and you can make time, offer to come to their home and do laundry or help with yard work. Look for needs that might be less obvious to most… and do your best to meet them.

I “get it” that we are all busy. But helping others is not about doing what is convenient. Do you think the acts of Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea would have been as significant to Jesus if they had truly had nothing better to do with their time or no sacrifice to make? When we operate out of a deep desire to serve rather than a place of obligation or boredom, we are truly honoring Jesus and our relationship with Him.

The old adage that “people don’t care what you know until they know that you care” applies. We can’t really be the hands and feet of Jesus until we truly become exactly that. Actions do speak louder than words. What are you saying about your walk with Christ today?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: