Daily Devotional for December 7, 2011

Psalm 142:5-7
I pray to you, LORD! You are my place of safety, and you are my choice in the land of the living. Please answer my prayer. I am completely helpless. Help! They are chasing me, and they are too strong. Rescue me from this prison, so I can praise your name. And when your people notice your wonderful kindness to me, they will rush to my side.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Imagine what it must feel like to be unable to breathe well. My grandmother recently began to feel badly, and I took her to the Emergency Room for an evaluation. The doctor asked, “Do you have any shortness of breath?” She replied, “Oh, yes… it feels like something heavy is on my chest.” Further tests revealed that she had congestive heart failure – a buildup of fluid around her heart and in her lungs. This was directly affecting her breathing. She was “rescued” by some medications to remove the excess fluid and lower her blood pressure. But I can imagine that this sensation of not being able to take a deep breath can be quite frightening – and make one feel completely helpless!

One thing I can say for my grandmother… when she is in these sort of situations, she never seems to panic. I have been with other family members who were experiencing similar symptoms, and they were – understandably – quite agitated and fearful. So I asked myself, “What makes my grandmother different?” The only answer I have is that my grandmother is so completely at peace with God and His plans for her. She knows He truly is her place of safety. And frankly, at 99 years of age, she is comfortable staying or going. God is her choice in the land of the living – and in Eternity as well.

I believe my grandmother’s demeanor directly affects those around her. I’ve seen how she is treated by medical staff, and I’ve always said she is a “good patient.” She almost makes apologies for “bothering” them… and sometimes she has actually said as much! She showers each person who treats her with kindness and affection… and they return the same.

There is a lot to be said for this example. We don’t always feel our best… we may feel helpless and fearful. But if God is our strength and our shield, we know Who wins in the end! And because of this, we can share His wonderful kindness with others, whether this is returned toward us or not. We can sing His praises and bask in the glory of His continual love and protection. I’m betting we will find ourselves on the end of better treatment from others, as well. Either way, we will know that we honored our relationship with God… and that we never have to feel helpless – or hopeless – again.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: