Daily Devotional for December 3, 2011

Psalm 141:1-2
God, come close. Come quickly! Open your ears—it's my voice you're hearing!
Treat my prayer as sweet incense rising; my raised hands are my evening prayers.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My mother was telling us recently that her dog, Spot, will often come and stand beside her at the dining table and beg for his own dinner – almost as if he is quite literally talking to her. Spot likes soft, wet dog food atop his crunchy kibble. If he gets hungry for it, he lets her know. She said if she ignores him, he gets louder and louder until she and her husband can no longer talk to each other over the noise.

We often behave much like this when we talk to God. We are persistent to the point of being almost pesky…except for the fact that you can never pester God. He always wants to hear from us. Where we often “don’t get it,” is in understanding how clearly God does hear us. He knows our voice. But God will not intrude. He is waiting for us to invite Him to come closer. God wants us to call on Him… to say, “Come quickly! Open your ears and treat my prayer as sweet incense.”

I don’t know about you, but lately I’ve spent a lot of time with my hands “raised in evening (and morning and daytime) prayers.” I’ve been pestering God and reminding Him of needs and concerns that are on my heart and saying, “Come quickly! It’s me again… do you hear me?” I know that God does hear me… and I have peppered my prayers with praise for His constant love and care.

Whatever is on your heart, I hope you are turning to God and asking Him to come quickly to your side… to hear your prayers and bless them as the sweet offering you intend them to be.

I can’t imagine trying to handle life on my own without God. I am so thankful that we can never pester Him enough… that He always welcomes us and our persistence. God delights in knowing we seek Him that earnestly! What about you? Are you standing at His table and begging… growing louder and louder as you call on Him to “Come quickly?” Wouldn’t it be worth a shot to see what happens when you do?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: