Daily Devotional for December 9, 2011

Psalm 143:8-10
Each morning let me learn more about your love because I trust you. I come to you in prayer, asking for your guidance. Please rescue me from my enemies, LORD! I come to you for safety. You are my God. Show me what you want me to do, and let your gentle Spirit lead me in the right path.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This morning when I awoke, the fog was rising over the river as the sunrise warmed the air. I thanked God for the beauty of this morning and asked Him to guide me through the day. Later, I was shopping in a local thrift store, when I met two ladies I know very well. One was the mother of my high school classmate, Sandra, who died in 1994 from breast cancer. I spoke to her – and to the other woman, who happens to be a Hospice nurse and my brother’s friend and colleague. She was actually at his bedside with us when he died.

I went on with my shopping, but I was reminded of something that had happened recently that I felt I should share with Sandra’s mom. I’ll admit that a part of me said, “Oh, you shouldn’t say that to her… it might upset her here in the store.” But still, I heard a stronger Voice saying, “Go ahead… share.” So as I made my way back past these ladies, I stopped and said to my friend, “I have to tell you that last Sunday when I decorated my Christmas tree, I hung a paper angel that Sandra made many years ago. I hang it every year and always think of her – and you!”

The woman beamed and her eyes lit up as she smiled brightly and thanked me. My brother’s friend – who has also lost a daughter in recent years – said, “We were just talking about how good it makes us feel when someone mentions our daughters to us.” I noted that I feel the same way when someone mentions a happy memory of my brother, Tim. We talked about the girls and my brother for a few minutes before I said my good-byes and walked away.

My take-away from this conversation was that God heard me ask for guidance, and He gave me an opportunity to listen to His voice and follow through. I am so glad that I did! By listening to God’s voice, I was able to brighten the morning for two mothers grieving the loss of their daughters during the holidays – and to have my own day blessed as well.

So often we hear God’s voice and say, “Nah… not right now…” or “That’s not really my style.” But by asking God for guidance and trusting His responses, we learn so much more about His love for us and others. I know that this experience has encouraged me to pay even closer attention… to ask for even more guidance… and to follow through when God answers. Will you do the same?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: