Daily Devotional for December 8, 2011

Psalm 143:5-6
I remember to think about the many things you did in years gone by. Then I lift my hands in prayer, because my soul is a desert, thirsty for water from you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A friend and I were talking recently about tragic events that have occurred in our community. In the conversation, we mentioned some who were hurting emotionally – and others who had been through similar experiences. We noted how God could use those hurtful experiences for good. I shared with her my own experience as the “replacement” teacher for a young woman who had suffered a brain aneurysm and died. Many of the other teachers, including the woman’s best friend who taught next door, resented my presence. It took me years to realize that the anger and resentment was not personal… those who were hurting simply did not know where else to direct it other than toward me.

The very next year, the best-friend teacher was tragically killed in a car accident over the Thanksgiving break. Now there was a “replacement” teacher next door. And I found myself able to commiserate with her and offer encouragement. When she had an unpleasant or upsetting experience, she would come to me, and I would acknowledge her feelings and share how I had handled similar events. I remember the day she found the teacher’s coffee cup tucked away on a closet shelf… and I was able to say, “I found my teacher’s umbrella hanging on the closet doorknob. I understand.”

Through the years, I have gained a tremendous understanding of the many things God did in years gone by… and how they have provided both moments of great comfort and encouragement – and opportunities to bless others in His name. When I reflect on the many times that God has shown up in my life in ways I didn’t expect and couldn’t even imagine, I am truly overwhelmed. It is very much like water for the desert of a thirsty soul.

Wherever you find yourself today… in whatever circumstances you are experiencing… know that God can bless and comfort you. He can use these events – and you – to bless others in the future. He can nurture your heart and water your thirsty soul. Lift your hands and pray. Receive all that He wants to give you this day… and always.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: