Daily Devotional for December 23, 2011

1 Chronicles 9:28-33
Some of the Levites were responsible for the equipment used in worship at the temple, and they had to count everything before and after it was used. Others were responsible for the temple furnishings and its sacred objects, as well as the flour, wine, olive oil, incense, and spices. But only the priests could mix the spices. Mattithiah, Shallum's oldest son, was a member of the Levite clan of Korah, and he was in charge of baking the bread used for offerings. The Levites from the Kohath clan were in charge of baking the sacred loaves of bread for each Sabbath. The Levite family leaders who were the musicians also lived at the temple. They had no other responsibilities, because they were on duty day and night.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Each holiday season, I am reminded of family traditions. A lot of those in our family centered around food and big holiday dinners! When I was growing up, my Mam-ma Polly always made the hot rolls for our big potluck feasts and cooked green beans in her cast iron Dutch oven. My Aunt Altha made giblet gravy and the cornbread dressing as long as she could – then her daughter Betty Rhea took over. When Betty had a stroke and could no longer make the dressing, her grand-daughter, Natalie, took up the torch!

My mom always made an assortment of cookies to be eaten throughout the holidays - especially on Christmas morning. These included rolled cookies cut into the shape of Christmas trees, bells, and Santa Claus himself. Some were iced and decorated with “red hot” candies. Others were left plain. This year, I made holiday cookies – not the rolled and iced kind, but a family favorite nonetheless.

My Mam-ma Polly was somewhat known as the “peanut brittle lady” – making as much as 50 pounds of the candy to give to family and friends at Christmas time. Like clockwork, the tins would go out in December with an admonition that “I’ll need those back for next year!” When she moved into an assisted living facility last winter, I found peanuts and corn syrup stashed all over her house!

Men had traditions, too. My cousin Eddie always supplied my mother with fresh greenery from the woods for her planters… fragrant pine boughs that made everything smell fresh and woodsy! My dad was in charge of setting up card tables and chairs to accommodate our large family for the main meal, as well as other “manly” duties assigned by my mother - like carving the turkey and ham, and getting the Christmas tree on the stand and in the house!

Things have changed in my family. Now I make the green beans in the cast iron pot… the rolls are Sister Schubert’s, and my husband built a large wooden top that he assembles over our dining table to “stretch” it to accommodate all who gather there. He also assembles our tallest artificial Christmas tree in our great room each year. My mother decided a few years ago to enjoy our Christmas decorations instead of getting out hers, and her husband does most of their holiday baking. My mother-in-law made peanut brittle this year – in the microwave oven instead of an open sauce pan atop the stove!

Traditions are tricky things. Some are easily carried from one generation to the next for eons, while others rock along very nicely for a while before ending abruptly. I failed my grandmother’s peanut brittle making lessons miserably, so that “tradition” will not be carried on in my kitchen. I can make the delicious yeast rolls… but the heat-and-serve variety is so much easier. If you have not found your roles in life changing at least a little… you will at some point.

But what has not changed is our love for each other. We still get together and sit down to share a meal, although our number has dwindled by more than half. As I visited cousins recently to deliver Christmas gifts, I noticed that we each had some of the same ornaments on our Christmas trees… a “tie that binds” us together in a small, yet significant, way. We may do things a little differently these days, but the spirit of tradition is still there. I believe that God gives us traditions and the “keepers of certain duties” in order to create continuity, trust, and love among us.

There was something very comforting in knowing my Aunt Altha would always have the dressing and gravy. There was a love that flowed from my Mam-ma Polly through each buttery bite of peanut brittle. And as I look at my boxes of Christmas decorations each early December and consider whether to drag them all out again or not… I realize that creating a warm and cozy holiday home for my family is another way to share God’s love. Suddenly, I am rejuvenated for another season.

God has given each of us specific talents and abilities… designated responsibilities and “assignments” that are uniquely ours. He has put us directly in line to handle certain traditions… to carry them through to the next generation. And in doing so, He reminds us that His love is never-ending. He has called us to share these traditions with others to demonstrate our obedience and willingness to serve. Whether you are destined to be the family historian, the candy maker, the keeper of the cast iron Dutch oven, or the man in charge of turkeys, tables and chairs, and Christmas trees, God has set you in place for something. Ask Him to show you how and where He wants you to serve. It’s your job to find your spot and do your part. Will you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: