Daily Devotional for December 6, 2011

John 18:15-18
Simon Peter and another disciple followed Jesus. That disciple knew the high priest, and he followed Jesus into the courtyard of the high priest's house. Peter stayed outside near the gate. But the other disciple came back out and spoke to the girl at the gate. She let Peter go in, but asked him, "Aren't you one of that man's followers?"

"No, I am not!" Peter answered.

It was cold, and the servants and temple police had made a charcoal fire. They were warming themselves around it, when Peter went over and stood near the fire to warm himself.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

This is the time of year when we are all keenly aware of those around us who are in need. There are food and toy drives, programs to donate old coats to those who don’t have one, and “angel trees” that offer a chance to pick a child to provide with Christmas gifts. The Salvation Army bell ringers stand outside our department stores and urge us to drop in our spare change. And we do all of these things… and more… and go on our way feeling smug and satisfied with our own generosity.

The trouble is… many of us don’t operate with the same generous spirit the rest of the year. We develop an “it’s not my problem” attitude, and in doing so, we are no better than Peter. “Can you help?” we are asked over and again, and our answer is, “I don’t know them…” or “They don’t go to my church…” or quite literally, “That is simply not my problem.”

I will be the first to tell you that I do not donate to every cause for which I am asked. I toss plenty of solicitation letters in the trash, and I prayerfully choose who – and how – to help others. But this is the key… I try very hard to listen to God and follow His lead. If I feel God is telling me to put money in the Salvation Army bucket, I do it! If someone asks me to help a needy family in our area, and I feel that God expects me to do this, I step up to ask what is needed. Every time we fail to listen to God’s direction, we are denying our relationship with Him, just as Peter did.

I pray that you will stay in contact with God and prayerfully consider how and where He is calling you to serve. Don’t be guilty of denying your Father. Recognize His voice and answer in whatever manner He directs… not just during the Christmas holidays – but all year long.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: