Daily Devotional for April 11, 2015

Romans 1:16-17
For I am not ashamed of this Good News about Christ. It is God’s powerful method of bringing all who believe it to heaven. This message was preached first to the Jews alone, but now everyone is invited to come to God in this same way. This Good News tells us that God makes us ready for heaven—makes us right in God’s sight—when we put our faith and trust in Christ to save us. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scripture says it, “The man who finds life will find it through trusting God.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

A dear friend of mined recently posed two questions on Facebook that were intended to spark a conversation…”When it's all said and done...what is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of living?”  One person replied…”One of my questions is…why is Jesus delaying his return? This world is a big mess.”  This is a valid question.  And I believe we find at least part of the answer in this passage from the first chapter of Romans.

In my opinion, our job is not to question why Jesus is taking so long…or even why “bad things happen to good people”.  Will the answers really make us feel any better or change what is happening?  I believe the more important question to ask is, “What would You have me do with this, LORD?”…and then we must trust His answer.

I know people who have endured unspeakable challenges…and done so without complaining.  They have exhibited amazing calm and peace…incredible grace and courage.  They have trusted God…and He has sustained them.  I’ve even heard others ask of them, “How can you be so calm and collected?”  Let me assure you, these people may be crushed on the inside.  They may be hurting deeply - and crying out to God for His wisdom and comfort when no one else is around. But they are also trusting God to answer.  And they are finding life – and its true meaning – in the process.  My answer to my friend’s question would have to be, at least in part, that we are living to love and serve Christ…to further God’s kingdom and fulfill His plans – and this includes any and all “bumps in the road”.

We need look no further than the life of Jesus Christ…His torture, crucifixion, death and resurrection…to see that “bad things happen” to even the most Perfect One. So this cannot be our crutch or excuse.  Clearly our faith in God sustains us – and makes us right with Him. I’m ready to go “full in” with God – to trust Him completely.  I’ve seen evidence in my own life of how He is always with me…how God handles EVERYTHING when I calm down and let Him have control.

I am learning to find joy, peace and contentment in any situation through my faith and trust in God.  I know that He is “making ready” my place in Heaven…and my job is to patiently and faithfully serve Him on this earth until He calls for me.  What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: