Daily Devotional for April 5, 2015

John 14:2-3
There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so that you can always be with me where I am. If this weren’t so, I would tell you plainly.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

This morning, I substituted for the teacher in the pre-K Sunday school class at our church.  Eleven three- and 4-year-olds arrived in their Easter finery to hear this weeks’ Bible lesson.  Our scripture verse was part of John 14:2…”I go to prepare a home for you.”[paraphrased for the little ones]  The teacher’s guide instructed us to discuss the crucifixion and the resurrection and burial of Jesus.  Our art project was to color a picture of a tomb/cave…and attach a “stone” with a little brass “brad”, so that the stone could be “rolled away.”

The hole in the cave – or “portal”, as one 4-year-old described it – contained the words, “He is risen.”  This was a fairly heavy lesson for this age group, but some of the older children had a decent grasp of the story and helped to guide the conversation.  And as I talked with Timothy, Zola and Nathan at lunch and thought about what they gleaned from their morning Sunday school classes, I asked myself…”What is the “take-away” for ALL of us on this Easter Sunday?”

The people who developed our church’s Sunday school curriculum seemed to want us to remember two things:  1)“Jesus Christ is risen”; and 2) He has gone to prepare a home for us – with Him – in Heaven.  The children and I talked about how glorious heaven with Jesus will be.  During our lunch, Timothy expressed concern about dying and going to heaven, and I assured him that it will be wonderful – that we will have a mansion to live in with Jesus, and all sorts of amazing things await us. 

I told Timothy that we don’t know what all will be in heaven, but we might even have swimming pools, trampolines and skating rinks.  He instantly replied, “Man, I bet those dogs and Mam-ma are having a GOOD time!”  He was referring to my mom and sister’s dogs who both died within the last year…and my grandmother who left this earth two years ago.  In his five-year-old thinking, Timothy instantly connected with the only breathing beings he knew who had died.  And he pictured them in heaven with Jesus…”having a GOOD time.”  He had trouble understanding why we cannot see Jesus if He is indeed alive.  I told him that Jesus lives in our hearts, and we can feel Him with us each and every day…and he clutched his heart and said, “He’s right here!”

So today, as we celebrate how Christ rose from the grave…how He lives in our hearts and is preparing amazing rooms and mansions for us where we will live with Him for all eternity…let us be joyful.  We should each picture Jesus and those loved ones who gave their hearts to Him and have gone to heaven ahead of us “having a GOOD time.”  We must desire to live in such a way that we will be ready to join them when our “room” is ready! 

The tomb was empty…the “portal” was open and angels had rolled away a stone so heavy that even Superman or Iron Man could not have moved it singlehandedly!  Only Jesus – or one of God’s angels – could do such a thing!  He suffered and died because He loves us…He rose because a mere grave for mortal men cannot hold Him…and He rose to heaven to live with God and prepare a place for us.  It’s a lot to take in…almost too much to consider…but such an incredible message for each of us.

I’ve heard other people say this, but the longer I live, the sweeter the thoughts of heaven become…and the more I appreciate what Jesus did so that I can live there someday.  Easter Sunday is a time to celebrate…and shout…and praise God for His amazing gift of Jesus.  He is risen!  Jesus is preparing a permanent home for those who give their hearts to Him and invite Him into their hearts.  I am one of them…are you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: