Daily Devotional for April 9, 2015

Psalm 119:1-10
Happy are all who perfectly follow the laws of God. Happy are all who search for God and always do his will, rejecting compromise with evil and walking only in his paths. You have given us your laws to obey - oh, how I want to follow them consistently. Then I will not be disgraced, for I will have a clean record.

After you have corrected me, I will thank you by living as I should! I will obey! Oh, don’t forsake me and let me slip back into sin again.

How can a young man stay pure? By reading your Word and following its rules. I have tried my best to find you—don’t let me wander off from your instructions.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Answer this question honestly…have you ever turned and looked the other way when something was happening that you knew would not please God?  Maybe you observed activity at a party that was wrong – or illegal.  Maybe you knew that a friend was cheating in some manner, and you did not confront him/her.  Perhaps you literally looked away when someone told a joke that was off-color, racist, or derogatory in some manner.  Maybe you shared gossip about someone, even though you knew in your heart that it was wrong to do so. Or perhaps you knew that your boss or co-workers were stealing from the company or mistreating other employees…and you kept your mouth shut, because you felt... a) it wasn’t any of your business; and/or 2) confrontation could cost you the job – or your relationship with this person.

In all of these instances…and countless more…we compromise with evil.  We may even justify this by saying, “It’s just this once.  I’ll do more for God later.” Or we say, “I’m sowing my wild oats.  I’ll settle down and live for God someday.”  But let me ask you this…how do you feel afterward? 

If you truly love God, I’m betting you feel pretty lousy on some level.  These types of negotiations with God do not make us happy – at least not in the long run.  While it’s not always easy to do the right thing…nothing else will truly make us happy.  To some degree, we will operate with a guilty conscience…and this is never really pleasant or fun!

Hear the good news…there is a “way out” of this mess.  We can ditch the devil, once and for all - and run as fast as we can back to God.  We may think we have tried our best to find Him...but in truth, He’s been here all along.  His guidelines are clear…His Word contains every answer we will ever need…if only we will study it.  Then we must do what God asks of us…even those things we find difficult – or unpopular.

If you find your life unsettled…if you are often uneasy, worried, or frustrated...open your Bible, sit quietly with God, and let Him speak to you.  James 4:8 tells us that “when you draw close to God, God will draw close to you.”  God is waiting for you to kick the devil to the curb and draw near to Him – and STAY there!  Are you ready to make the move?


©2015 Debbie Robus 

No comments: