Daily Devotional for April 29, 2015

1 Peter 1:23
For you have a new life. It was not passed on to you from your parents, for the life they gave you will fade away. This new one will last forever, for it comes from Christ, God’s ever-living Message to men.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.
 
I’ve been scanning old photographs recently…and taking a trip down “Memory Lane” in the process.  As I look back over the years at pictures of my family members, I’ve thought a lot about how certain people have played significant roles in my life…special times we have shared…and the “life lessons” they have provided.

My own parents have been “accomplished” in many ways.  My dad was talented and creative…and he never met a stranger.  Half of the wrought iron and metal work in this county was probably created by my daddy in his welding shop – and designed on a paper napkin as he ate a bologna sandwich for lunch!  He could literally put out fires as a volunteer fireman, or console grieving families in his role as a funeral director.  My dad was the ultimate jack-of-all-trades…and I thought there was nothing that he couldn’t do.

Countless children got their “start” at the feet of my mother as she taught kindergarten, both in our home and then in the public schools.  She is responsible for the musical foundation of more than one accomplished pianist or organist, including the woman who been the heart and soul our local public school music program for over 40 years.  Mother is a well-known and respected writer… author of seven books to date. “Granny”, as the kids call her, is known for her tuna casserole, chicken pie, pimiento cheese and sweet potatoes with marshmallows. And she is a “documented” dog lover.  Countless people know her as the lady whose dogs walked HER all over town!

My parents gave me a wonderful start in life…and I am proud of both of them.  But they gave me something else that is far more important…an example of what it means to have New Life in Christ.  In recent years, I have gained a new appreciation for how both of my parents embraced Jesus and served Him…not only through service to their church and its missions – but in the community at large. None of us is perfect, but my parents both have reputations for loving and encouraging others, demonstrating tremendous faith and courage in the face of crises and difficulties, and recognizing that their New Life in Christ is the one that truly matters.

Here’s the thing…we can have great parents who give us tremendous examples of how to live well.  We can be nurtured, encouraged, trained and inspired by them and other “parental figures” in our lives…and we can turn out to be pretty great people, by all accounts.  But if we are not reborn in Christ Jesus, none of it matters.  You can have the best parents in the world, but if you don’t claim your place as a child of the Most High God, you can’t truly “live”.  And we must “pay this forward” and encourage others to invite Jesus to live in our hearts…and join His heavenly family, as well.

I am so very grateful for all that my parents have given me.  But at the same time, I am even more indebted to Jesus for what HE did for me…how He suffered, bled and died for my sins…how He came to earth to show us how to truly live.  And I am convicted that we who are His children are called to tell others about the New Life that Jesus offers…to encourage others to be reborn in Him and secure THEIR place at His heavenly table forever and ever. 

The question we have to ask ourselves is which life we are living…the one our natural parents gave us…or the one secured for us by Jesus Christ.  Your answer matters…for all Eternity.  Which “life” will you choose?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: