Daily Devotional for April 18, 2015

1 Thessalonians 3:9-10
What would be an adequate thanksgiving to offer God for all the joy we experience before him because of you? We do what we can, praying away, night and day, asking for the bonus of seeing your faces again and doing what we can to help when your faith falters.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

I try to visit our local aquatic center three days per week to work out.  As I jog around the pool and do “high-knees” and “crossover kicks”, I talk to God and thank Him for my incredible blessings. As I stretch, lunge, do bicep curls and anvil curls, I pray - and lift my family, friends, those who are sick and suffering, world leaders, our church and its leaders…and more “praises and concerns”.  In the course of 45 minutes to an hour, God and I can cover a lot of ground!  This is one way that I can offer thanksgiving to Him for all of the joy that He – and these people – bring to my life.

Several of my cousins and my best friend live four hours away in another Arkansas town.  I rarely see them in person.  But I “talk” to a few of them on Facebook and via e-mail…and sometimes even by phone…several times a week.  I know that they “have my back,” and I have theirs.  I pray for them and encourage them…and many of these people do the same for me.  I find this connection to be a joy and a comfort…and I count it a privilege to be able to pray for them and share in their lives via modern technology.  They bless me in ways I cannot even count.

What’s my point? (Because you KNOW that I’m trying to make one!)  I believe there is one factor that strengthens each and every one of my relationships…and this is prayer!  Let’s be clear…my prayer life is a work in progress.  But I cannot tell you how many times I have encountered a friend or loved one who needs encouragement, and I am able to say, “I’ve been praying for you” or “I prayed for you this morning/afternoon.”  It strengthens the bond – between us, and with God – to know that we are sharing and caring in this manner.

Just yesterday, I read a CaringBridge report about a lifelong acquaintance who is slowly and steadily recovering from a serious illness that nearly killed her several months ago.  As I read about the tremendous milestone that she accomplished yesterday, I smiled and thanked God.  I thought of the prayers I have offered (along with those of countless others)…and I knew that our persistence and faithfulness made a difference.  Let me hasten to add that, even if this dear woman’s results were less positive – or if she were to be called to heaven today – our prayers on her would still matter.  They would still have strengthened our bond and cultivated our faithfulness.

The bottom line is that we have to be active and present in our relationships with God – and with others.  Prayer matters…it really does!  Communion with God strengthens our interaction with friends, acquaintances and family members.  God-given technology enables us to keep in touch and encourage in amazing ways…to engage with one another and “be the hands and feet of Jesus” even when we cannot literally be in close physical proximity.  And when an actual reunion does occur, the bond is made even sweeter because of what we have shared through a faith-filled dialog with God.

Make this the day that you figure out how to incorporate prayer into your routine.  You don’t have to schedule a “pool workout” time for prayer.  Pepper brief conversations with God throughout your day.  As you think of someone you know/love, whisper a prayer of gratitude for your relationship – and ask God to bless and care for this person…to encourage him/her as needed…and to fill each heart with joy and peace.  Your relationships will strengthen…your bonds will deepen…and you will see a difference.  I’m praying for you today…who are YOU praying for?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: