Daily Devotional for April 26, 2015

April 26 ~ Psalms 91:1-6
We live within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods.

This I declare, that he alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. For he rescues you from every trap and protects you from the fatal plague. He will shield you with his wings! They will shelter you. His faithful promises are your armor. Now you don’t need to be afraid of the dark anymore, nor fear the dangers of the day; nor dread the plagues of darkness, nor disasters in the morning.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I still remember the day that I marched into my principal’s office and said, “I will not be back as a teacher next year.”  Talk about a scary moment!  I knew that this was right for me…but after 9 years in the classroom, I was also nervous and frightened about admitting – to myself and others – that I needed to go in another direction.  I remember the day I gave notice in another job that I had held for more than three years. Again, I knew it was the right thing to do, but saying those words was not easy.  I remember the day I messaged all of the members of my church’s Praise Team and told them that I had just spent my last Sunday helping to lead worship.  I knew that God was moving me…but after eight years of serving in this capacity, the finality of saying, “I’m done” was daunting, to say the least.

Every day, people do courageous things.  Some take brave steps, like uttering the phrase, “My name is XYZ, and I am an alcoholic.”  Or perhaps they tell their friends and family members that they are gay.  Maybe someone in an abusive relationship says, “Enough!” and contacts authorities or a shelter and pursues physical safety and support.  Maybe you have admitted to someone that you are in over your head financially and need help figuring out what to do next. Or perhaps you have admitted that your marriage or relationship is not working…and something has to change. 

Maybe you have told your parents that you are flunking out of school – or that you don’t want to return to college next year.  Or maybe you told your coach or band director - or another group sponsor - that you are quitting the team/band/club.

This scripture passage is particularly important for each of us, because at one point or another, we will all face something that scares the pants off us.  It may be one of the things I mentioned.  Or it may be another personal crisis – like losing a loved one, physical illness or injury…or even facing your own mortality.  We’ve all been in a situation where our heart raced and pounded and we dreaded the day or night and whatever it might bring. 

But no more!  We must remind ourselves that we do indeed stand within the shadow of the Almighty, sheltered by the God who is above all gods. We must remember that He alone is our refuge, our place of safety; He is our God, and we must trust Him. We must feel the shelter of His wings and seek refuge there. 

When fears come – and they will – we must call on God to help us…and fully believe that He will do just that.  Whatever you are facing today…whatever fears are troubling you…give them to God. Let the armor of His loving arms embrace and embolden you with courage and peace.  Put one foot in front of the other, and keep on going.  God’s got this…you have nothing to fear!


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: