Daily Devotional for April 30, 2015

Joel 2:28-32
“After I have poured out my rains again, I will pour out my Spirit upon all of you! Your sons and daughters will prophesy; your old men will dream dreams, and your young men see visions. And I will pour out my Spirit even on your slaves, men and women alike, and put strange symbols in the earth and sky—blood and fire and pillars of smoke.

“The sun will be turned into darkness and the moon to blood before the great and terrible Day of the Lord shall come.

“Everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved; even in Jerusalem some will escape, just as the Lord has promised, for he has chosen some to survive.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Have you heard about the “Blood Moons?”  According to information found at EarthSky.org…” The first Blood Moon eclipse in a series of four happened on the night of April 14-15, 2014. The second one took place on the night of October 7-8, 2014. The third one is coming up on April 4, 2015 and will be visible to North American skywatchers. A series of four total lunar eclipses is called a tetrad. We in astronomy had not heard the term Blood Moon used in quite this way before this year, but now the term has become widespread in the media.”*

Another lunar eclipse is scheduled to occur on September 28, 2015. There are pastors and others in the religious community who cite Joel 2:31 – and the rest of this passage – and try to make a correlation between these events and the Second Coming of Christ.  Books have been written…seminars have been held and attended…and a general state of unrest has been stirred among some believers.

I do not mean to belittle anyone’s faith.  But here is my “take” on all of this.  The “blood moons” (a phrase coined by one of those “religious” authors) are beautiful.  If you get a chance to observe one, by all means, do so! But do not panic.  If Jesus is just about ready to return, so what?  This is GREAT NEWS!  As I told a neighbor who wanted to talk to me about “End Times” recently…”Bring ‘em!  I don’t plan on being here!” 

See, I’ve already been “bought and paid for” by the blood of Jesus.  I surrendered my heart to Him a long time ago, and whenever He is ready for me, I’m ready to go to heaven.  This could happen in the next 30 minutes…or I could still be here when He returns for His church at large.  Either way, I know that this is not my final destination, but just an important stop along the way.  I have work to do on behalf of my Lord and Savior…and He is going to provide me with signs, wonders, dreams, visions, and beautiful phenomena like “blood moons” to enjoy during the journey. 

I don’t have an “exclusive” on salvation.  What God has done for me through Jesus Christ…He will gladly do for you.  No one needs operate in fear for even one minute.  This is glorious…amazing…exciting!  Embrace it…embrace Jesus!  And revel in the promise that you will LIVE with Him for all eternity…whenever He decides to call for you!

And let’s stop scaring folks about the “End Times”.  Let’s talk about how wonderful heaven is…how blessed we are to serve a Risen Savior…and how glorious it will be to belong to Him for all eternity.  We Christians have operated in fear long enough…and it’s not working for us OR those we wish to reach for Jesus!  Let’s start showing others how joyful and excited we are to be children of the Most High God…and demonstrate happy anticipation of all that He has in store for us!


©2015 Debbie Robus  

*http://earthsky.org

No comments: