Daily Devotional for April 1, 2015

Luke 22:24-30
And they began to argue among themselves as to who would have the highest rank in the coming Kingdom.

Jesus told them, “In this world the kings and great men order their slaves around, and the slaves have no choice but to like it! But among you, the one who serves you best will be your leader. Out in the world the master sits at the table and is served by his servants. But not here!  For I am your servant.  Nevertheless, because you have stood true to me in these terrible days, and because my Father has granted me a Kingdom, I, here and now, grant you the right to eat and drink at my table in that Kingdom; and you will sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

I cannot tell you how many times I visited my Mam-ma Polly when she was sitting down at her table to a plate of food that would barely feed her, and she would say, “Sit down and eat with me.”  And when I did, we’d both walk away from the table stuffed to the gills.  Somehow those “little piddlin’ amounts” multiplied into a feast that sustained us…and filled our bellies AND our souls.  Even now as I remember this…or especially when I cook one of grandmother’s signature dishes, I get that same warm feeling.  I sense her presence…her love…her generosity and servant’s heart.

Like all of us, my Mam-ma Polly was not perfect.  But for the most part, she always thought of others first.  She found someone to serve virtually every day of her life, and did not discriminate in the least.  And while she might have told you that she was “a poor ‘widder’ woman” she was one of the “richest” women I ever knew.

When we eat and drink at the Holy Communion table, we should all be reminded of Jesus and how He served us…how He taught us to love and serve ALL others…and how He took OUR sins upon himself.  When we eat the bread and drink the wine that Jesus told the disciples were his “body and blood,” we are in reminded of our sins…because His body and blood of were exchanged for them.

We cannot physically share a meal with Jesus until we enter into His presence in Heaven.  But this rite of Holy Communion serves as a reminder of Him…of what and who Jesus died for…and warms our heart and soul with His presence.  This particular practice of the church is truly one of the most holy and precious demonstrations that we make as Christians.

At some point this week, many of us will likely share Holy Communion.  As you do so, think of Jesus…the “Servant” who became last so that He could be first…our King of Kings.  Remember that He gave His body and blood so that we can once again dine with him someday in His Kingdom.  Remember that Jesus promised His disciples a place at His table.  Remember how a “little piddlin’ amount” of bread and wine have come to symbolize the greatest gift we will ever receive…salvation through Jesus Christ – and a heart and soul that are brimming full! 

Humble yourself as His servant…become “last” on this earth in order to be one of the first in line for a seat at His table in Heaven.  In Jesus, we will never go hungry.  He is inviting each of us to…”Sit down and eat with me.”  Won’t you take Him up on His offer?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: