Daily Devotional for June 17, 2010

June 17 ~ Isaiah 54:14
You will be built on fairness with no fears of injustice; every one of your worries will be taken far from you.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A young cousin of mine recently received a nasty telephone message on the family’s answering machine. It turned out to be a jealous little girl who posed as my cousin’s friend and said some really ugly things to her. But it had all of the makings of a potential bullying situation. In talking with my cousin’s mother, we both shared how a bully had hurt us as young girls and teenagers, and the mother said, “It all came back to me in a flood.”

Clearly, from what I know of this woman, she has risen above any torment and torture that her childhood bully tried to inflict. If the bully meant to tear her apart for life, she failed miserably. And the girl who bullied me didn’t ruin my life, either. I wish I could say the same for some young teens whose stories have been in the news lately. For them, the only rescue they felt viable was suicide.

Especially when we are young, we are so vulnerable. Satan has an easy task of making life hard for us… and bullies are really difficult to ignore. We pray for God to take the burden away, but sometimes, in certain circumstances, we can’t escape our worries and injustice. Maybe those children didn’t have an attentive mother like my cousin’s, who jumped right on this situation and got to the bottom of it. Maybe these young people felt they should be able to handle this on their own and didn’t tell anyone – especially an adult. Or maybe they didn’t live in a home where everyone practiced faith in God to deliver them from all forms of weaponry, even the attacks of a bully.

My point is that Satan starts early. He has been trying to tear each of us away from God since the day we were born, and he will stop at nothing to achieve this. But we serve a God who is far more powerful… far more faithful… loving and kind, yet strong and mighty. And if we will stay focused on Him… hang on and hang in there – He will help us overcome all obstacles. He will send attentive mothers and fathers and empathetic teachers and counselors. He will give us wisdom and courage to fight the enemies of Satan, and every one of our worries will be taken far from us!

I’ll be the first to tell you that I come from a long line of worry warts. I learned from some of the best… and I got pretty good at it. And I’ll admit, I still worry about things that I cannot control from time to time. But I am learning to “let go and let God” – and I see evidence every day of how much better He handles these worries than I ever could. I see proof that He has had a protective hand on me for all of my years… and I know He is not letting go. Who has you in his hands – Satan, the biggest bully of all time - or the Great Protector, God Almighty? Who is doing your worrying these days?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: