Daily Devotional for June 26, 2010

June 26 ~ Hebrews 11:27
Because of his faith, Moses left Egypt. Moses had seen the invisible God and wasn't afraid of the king's anger.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

If you are like me, when you get unpleasant news, your mind goes into overdrive. I am a “fixer” by nature, and I immediately begin thinking about how to resolve this… a “what-can-I-do?” approach to the problem – even if it’s someone else’s! A few years after my brother died, I helped a nurse friend of his with a problem. She said to me, “Tim always said, ‘Debbie can fix anything.’ And I believe it!” I’m here to tell you, I cannot fix everything! And much as I would like to be able to “fix” several situations and/or the people in them, there are many things that are far beyond my abilities… or any other human’s, for that matter.

What I am learning is how to rely on God to fix the things I cannot. “But don’t you know that already?” you might be asking. Maybe I’m a slow learner! More likely, I’m like a lot of people. The “heart” knows that God is in control, but the “head” has not quite accepted this yet. And then there’s that old codger, the devil, who stands in the corner and says, “You need to DO something!” He’s right – well, partly. We do need to get on our knees and give these things to God and ask Him to handle them according to His will. We also need to acknowledge that we are NOT in control… but we serve a God who is more than able.

So often, we take the safe, easy route. We don’t want to “ruffle feathers” or risk being alienated or talked about or hurt in any way. We need to take a page from Moses’ book and trust the “Invisible God” who is working 24/7 on our behalf. If we have prayerfully considered our actions and choices and are certain that God is leading the way, we have nothing to fear. Are you trusting the Invisible God today? Is He guiding your choices and handling your concerns? Who fixes things for you?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: