Daily Devotional for June 3, 2010

June 3 ~ 2 Kings 6:16
"Don't be afraid," Elisha answered. "There are more troops on our side than on theirs."

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Nobody likes to feel outnumbered. The good news is, in our Christian life, it may seem that way, but in truth, we have more “troops” on our side than we even realize! Truly, no weapon formed against us will prosper, if we are living within God’s will.

I will be honest… I didn’t really understand this when I was a teenager and young adult. And I now see just how generous God’s grace was over me during those years. I still remember being laughed at because I didn’t smoke cigarettes and wouldn’t try marijuana or other drugs. I still recall the sting of not being included in trips to the lake or other outings because I wasn’t allowed to wear a bikini bathing suit or the crop tops and low-rise jeans my girlfriends were wearing. I’ve heard the names… “prude,” “goody two-shoes,” and more. And I admit…at the time, these things really hurt. They made me feel like I was an outsider… like I was outnumbered, and everyone else was having more fun and laughing at me. And honestly, Satan delighted in this… and he could have so easily won me over, had God’s grace not covered me.

See, I didn’t realize it then, but for every temptation Satan hurled at me, God stood back, arms folded, watching His angels surround me and give me the resolve and courage I needed to muddle through each situation. It wasn’t easy, and I don’t have a spotless record! But now I see so clearly that I was I just didn’t realize Who had my back… I was never outnumbered! And neither are you!

God has a army of angels surrounding each of us, ready to fight off Satan’s attackers. We can call on them any hour of the night or day. All we have to do is say, “Lord, I need you. I’m upset, and I’m about to say something that I know I will regret later.” Or, “Lord, everyone else is doing this… I really, really want to fit in… can you help me?” Or, “Father, I don’t think I can fight this disease and the ailments of aging any more. Can you please give me strength and peace?”

When I sleepily rock our nephew Timothy in the middle of the night, and he will not settle down, I have prayed for God to give him rest and relaxation. I’ve envisioned him surrounded by angels who lovingly soothe him and calm him as he returns to sleep in his crib. I have felt the presence of angels in a hospital room as my dad lay dying, and I have acknowledged that they were far more powerful than the demons of his illness and suffering. I have been tempted to lash out in anger and frustration at someone when I felt they were mistreating me, and I’ve asked God to surround me with legions of angels to protect me – and my intended target. And always… ALWAYS… God answers when I call on Him. AND… He will do the very same thing for you. Nothing is too big or too small for God… and we do not have to operate one second more in fear.

Are you calling on God and His army of angels to calm your fears and give you courage – and encouragement? Do you recognize the enemy and confront him headlong by calling on The Great Commander? Isn’t it time we stopped giving in, compromising and declaring defeat unnecessarily? We need recognize that we are never outnumbered as Christians. Help is only a prayer away. I wish I had used them more often when I was younger, but I am making up for lost time now! God is truly my ultimate “lifeline” – is He yours?

©2010 Debbie Robus

No comments: