Daily Devotional for February 10, 2011

Psalm 28:8-9
You give strength to your people, LORD, and you save and protect your chosen ones. Come save us and bless us. Be our shepherd and always carry us in your arms.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My maternal grandmother’s sister Mary Louise, died recently at age 89. She had moved into a local nursing home six years ago following the death of her husband. Her son and daughter visited last fall when she became quite ill but was still somewhat alert. Neither of them returned to Arkansas for her burial. The only surviving relatives who were able to attend the graveside service were my sister and me, and my niece.

When I arrived at the cemetery on a very cold, windy, but sunny morning, my niece had brought her baby, Timothy, along. She didn’t have anyone to watch him, and the service was going to be brief. Timmy was wearing his coat… and he had on long jeans, but he didn’t have any gloves. My niece said several times, “I didn’t realize it was going to be this cold.”

At the last minute, I had tucked a crocheted neck scarf and a long silk shawl into my car, along with my heavy wool coat. I got the scarf and tied it around Timmy’s hood to keep it in place, and then we wrapped him in the shawl to keep the wind off of his hands. He wanted me to hold him during the service, so I did. I decided his legs might be cold, so I unbuttoned my coat and wrapped it around him, snuggling him to me as the pastor spoke about our aunt.

I gently bounced Timmy as scripture was read, and when I glanced down, I saw his eyes begin to droop. Soon, his head plopped onto my chest, and he was sound asleep. I snuggled him close and “loved on him” – one of my favorite things to do. When the service ended, I handed him to his mother so she could put him back in the car, and she said, “Timothy, you are so warm!”

I thought about this later and realized… this is just how God snuggles us as Christians. We are wrapped in the safe warmth of His arms… shielded from the blustery winds and cold of life… then welcomed home when we die. He loves us so much and delights in the time when we draw close and rest in Him. It is one of His favorite things to do, also!

When was the last time you let God “love on you?” When was the last time you surrendered and let Him hold you… take your cares and your concerns… and snuggle you in the warmth of his embrace. How long has it been since you rested and “napped” nestled against God’s chest? Isn’t it time you did? Wouldn’t His warmth feel good right about now? Let God hold you and give you comfort. Feel His arms surround you and provide you with a soft place to fall. He’s ready… are you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: