Daily Devotional for February 25, 2011

1 Timothy 5:7-8
Tell all of this to everyone, so they will do the right thing. People who don't take care of their relatives, and especially their own families, have given up their faith. They are worse than someone who doesn't have faith in the Lord.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Today is the birthday of a dear friend of mine named Jean. I am not sure of Jean’s age, but it’s somewhere around 95. Jean and her husband, Jim, who is 95 or better, still live in their own home. She is a former nurse… Jim a former airline pilot. Jean and Jim never had children. Nieces, nephews, other family members and friends “see after” them… as much as Jean and Jim will allow!

I admit, I do not “see after” Jean and Jim like I should. They have been my dear friends for almost 25 years, and they are members of my church. They are part of my “church family” even if they are not related by blood, and I should check in with them more often.

And that brings me to the point of today’s devotional. It’s very easy for younger people to get busy with their own lives and families… and frankly, to become self-absorbed… and to forget about – or neglect – older people who live and work alongside them. I recently spoke with the mother of one of my friends, and she said, “We don’t see children at church any more, and it breaks my heart.” The children are attending a more contemporary service that meets at a different hour, and many of the older church members attend a traditional service, so they have little opportunity to interact with younger members. Clearly, this represents a need that must be addressed… and one that may have become commonplace in many church congregations.

If you want to see the power of “youth” in action, visit a nursing home and take a baby, a puppy, or a kitten. The faces of the residents will instantly light up at the sight of “young life.” We tend to get tunnel vision quite often… to focus on people who are in our own circle – or our own age – and we toss others… especially those who are older… to the curb. If you read further in 1 Timothy 5, you will see that there are admonitions to honor Jesus by caring for our grandparents, our widows and widowers, and older adults. When we show them respect and care, we are honoring God and His love for us.

The last time I did laundry, I discovered that the underarm seam of one of my husband’s t-shirts had come undone. My husband has dozens of t-shirts, and I seriously considered tossing this one into the rag bin. But there was still a lot of good “wear” left in the shirt, and a few stitches on my sewing machine could patch the torn seam. As I looked at this shirt, I thought of how we treat others in everyday life. I considered how we sometimes toss people – especially older adults - and their needs into the “rag bin” and focus on newer, prettier, more seemingly useful folks.

We need to wake up! We need to realize that older adults are not only important, wise and worthy of our time and attention… but we are called by God to attend to them! Who do you need to contact today? Do you have a family member – or a church family member – who needs to hear from you? If you are older… have you reached out to those who are younger and let them know you are willing to be a mentor and friend… that you still want to be engaged in the activities of their lives? In God’s family, there are no age barriers… these have been imposed by humans. It’s up to us to remove them… in Jesus’ name. Where will you begin?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: