Daily Devotional for February 2, 2011

Psalm16:5-9
You, LORD, are all I want! You are my choice, and you keep me safe. You make my life pleasant, and my future is bright. I praise you, LORD, for being my guide. Even in the darkest night, your teachings fill my mind. I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear. With all my heart, I will celebrate, and I can safely rest.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I’m always amazed by people who can simply “let life happen.” I would not necessarily categorize myself as a “control freak,” but I like to have a plan. Like most people, my plans do not always go as I had hoped, and I have to adjust. Some days I handle this better than others, but in recent months, I have learned to rely more on God and less on myself. And while my plans may still not go as I hope all the time, I am coping with the outcome better… much of the time. Hey, I’m still a work in progress!

Do you ever wake up in the night thinking about something… maybe what you have to do the next day, or an upcoming test or other class project, or something at work or a family issue? Does your mind start to race as you plan your strategy or review the test material? Do you toss and turn and repeatedly review the steps or thoughts like a tape loop? Do you ever ask God to help you with this?

Our fears… darkest nights… “tape loops” running through our heads… worries, frustrations and over-analyzing situations… all of these are tools of the devil. And all of these are easily handled by God. When we give over our plans to Him, things may not go exactly as we hoped, but all will be well. When we trust God to protect us and give Him our fears, our life is pleasant and bright, and our heart is filled with joy and rest. We can sleep like babies, knowing that God is “on the clock” and taking care of things for us.

This is hard to do sometimes… I get that. But the more we practice, the easier it becomes. In 1 Peter 5:7, we are told to cast all of our cares upon the Lord, because He cares for us… and nothing could be more accurate or more comforting. God does His most powerful work in us when we surrender and walk in faith… when we truly cast our cares upon Him.

Who is carrying your burdens today? Are you trying to shoulder your cares alone – or worse yet, with the constant “encouragement” of the devil? Isn’t it time we celebrated God’s great love for us, gave Him our cares… and rested?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: