Daily Devotional for February 20, 2011

Psalm 34:1-11
I will always praise the LORD. With all my heart, I will praise the LORD. Let all who are helpless, listen and be glad. Honor the LORD with me! Celebrate his great name. I asked the LORD for help, and he saved me from all my fears. Keep your eyes on the LORD! You will shine like the sun and never blush with shame. I was a nobody, but I prayed, and the LORD saved me from all my troubles.

If you honor the LORD, his angel will protect you. Discover for yourself that the LORD is kind. Come to him for protection, and you will be glad. Honor the LORD! You are his special people. No one who honors the LORD will ever be in need. Young lions may go hungry or even starve, but if you trust the LORD, you will never miss out on anything good. Come, my children, listen as I teach you to respect the LORD.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

On the 2011 Grammy Awards show, several well-known singers honored Aretha Franklin by singing some of her hits, including R-E-S-P-E-C-T. In a pre-Super Bowl interview with President Barack Obama, Bill O’Reilly repeatedly asked the President a question, then began to talk over him. On a recent episode of ABC’s The View, hosts Joy Behar and Elisabeth Hasselbeck were both talking about a topic, and Hasselbeck rudely said, “I’m talking” in an attempt to quiet Behar and grab the floor. I had a frustrating experience with someone who began talking as soon as she saw me or heard my voice on the phone, and she would not stop long enough for me to ask a question or answer hers.

In the interviews and my own experience, there was a clear lack of R-E-S-P-E-C-T – respect! My 7th-grade science class teacher, Coach Isaac Witt, said repeatedly, “When your mouth is open, your ears are closed.” He was right! And as often as we disrespect one another, it pales in comparison to how much we disrespect our Heavenly Father. This Psalm outlines how important it is to honor (respect) God. The results are astounding… we will never starve or go hungry… He saves us from our fears and protects us from all of our troubles… we shine like the sun and never need to be ashamed… we are His special people and will never miss out on anything good.

Stop and think about your relationship with God. If you are really honest, I am willing to bet that you will find you “talk over” Him all the time. He starts to guide you, give you wisdom and good advice, and you effectively plug your fingers into your ears and start singing, “La-la-la-la-la!” I’m not saying we do this intentionally, but let’s get real… we all do it.

We need to offer God our utmost R-E-S-P-E-C-T. He does so much for us… His rewards are immeasurable. But more importantly, He deserves our honor and respect for loving and blessing us, undeserving as we all are. Take some time to listen to God. Find out what He is trying to say to you… give Him a chance to take the floor, and never ever tell Him, “I’m talking!” Praise Him with all your heart… and be forever glad for His love and blessings.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: