Daily Devotional for February 22, 2011

Mark 4:24-25
Listen carefully to what you hear! The way you treat others will be the way you will be treated--and even worse. Everyone who has something will be given more. But people who don't have anything will lose what little they have.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A friend of mine posted this quote on Facebook recently: “To get what you want, help others get what they want first.” A few days later, I was reading Joel Osteen’s book, Daily Readings from Becoming a Better You*, and I read this… “If you want your life to increase, if you want your life to get better, then you need to help improve somebody else’s life. If you will help somebody else become successful, God will make sure that you are successful.”

You may be wondering… “What do I have to give? I’m just a kid… I’m broke…I’m old… I’m disabled or handicapped in some way… I’m busy… I’m shy… I’m unattractive… I need help myself!” The truth is, you are a precious child of the Most High God, and as the saying goes, “God don’t make junk!” You have something to offer to someone that he/she desperately needs! It may be a smile… a kind word…your compassion and forgiveness. It may be a word of encouragement or a helping hand with something you see as insignificant.

I still remember an experience with my dear friend Betty Ray, who now rests with Jesus. She told me once that a hug I gave her in line for Holy Communion one Sunday had been just what she needed at that moment – it made her day! The hug did not cost me anything… and honestly, it was a spontaneous gesture rather than an intentional one. But so many things we can offer to others are just that – free, spontaneous, heartfelt gestures that could make all the difference.

We need to start operating in positives. Instead of finding fault with others… we need to look for good things… and actually encourage them. Remind yourself often that “the other guy” is just as precious to God as you are… no different whatsoever! What God does for you, He wants to do for that person, and vice versa. Don’t miss out on God’s blessings for either of you. Don’t stand in the way of your own portion by failing to give to others.

Start looking for ways to bless others in Jesus’ name. Get so comfortable doing this that it becomes second nature. Don’t do this simply so that you get more blessings from God, but because His blessings are more than enough to go around, and you want others to enjoy what you have. Share the wealth, and watch God’s blessings multiply – in your life and the lives of others.

©2011 Debbie Robus

*©2008 Joel Osteen - Daily Readings from Becoming a Better You - Free Press, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc.

No comments: