Daily Devotional for February 3, 2011

Psalm 19:11-14
By your teachings, Lord, I am warned; by obeying them, I am greatly rewarded. None of us know our faults. Forgive me when I sin without knowing it. Don't let me do wrong on purpose, Lord, or let sin have control over my life. Then I will be innocent, and not guilty of some terrible fault. Let my words and my thoughts be pleasing to you, LORD, because you are my mighty rock and my protector.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

We don’t always have the whole story. Two recent events triggered an old memory for me recently. We have been seeing our high school principal at basketball games – he’s come to watch his grand-daughters cheer. Then a former classmate mentioned Home Economics class on Facebook. When I was in high school, I couldn’t take Home Economics class, because there was a schedule conflict with my band class. So I took General Science instead. This meant that I had a different class schedule - and lunch hour - than my fellow ninth graders.

One day, our principal called an assembly to announce that the campus was going to be closed during the lunch hour, meaning we could no longer leave to go out to eat or home for lunch. He gathered us all together and then said, “If you are in grades 7-9, this doesn’t involve you, so go back to class.” The upper classmen who were in my science class said, “You need to stay, since you have lunch with us.” So I did. When I returned to class, my teacher didn’t think I should have stayed for the information. Neither did the teacher in the next class, for which I arrived late, and she sent me to the principal’s office.

I explained to the principal that I did not know I had done anything wrong – and told him why I stayed for his assembly. He “forgave” me and sent me back to class. I can see why the teachers thought I shouldn’t have stayed. I truly did not believe I was doing anything wrong by staying. I realized later that I could have gotten the information from someone in my science class, but at the time, I felt that what was being said pertained to me, and I needed to hear it firsthand.

In a totally unrelated event, my dad once told me of a conversation he had with an aunt who had no children. She made some comment about child-rearing, and my dad (who was just a young boy), replied, “How would you know? You’ve never had children.” What Daddy did not know was that his aunt had lost a baby as a teenager… and she felt that loss deeply, particularly since she never gave birth to any other children. My grandmother took my dad aside and explained this to him, and he felt badly. He really loved his aunt, and he was so sad that he had hurt her feelings… albeit unknowingly.

See… we don’t always have all the information. And sometimes, we say and do things we shouldn’t because we truly do not know we have made a mistake. There are two lessons here. The first is to be more aware of what we say and how we say it… and to be more careful with our words and behaviors. The second is to understand that we all make mistakes – many of them innocent, if no less wrong or hurtful. Thankfully, we serve a God who forgives us and sets us back on our feet.

None of us is perfect… we all have faults. God understands this. It is not an excuse – or a license to sin or to behave badly. But we must look at our own lives – and the lives of others – and consider how God loves us and extends grace and mercy when we falter. I am so grateful that God cares for us this way – and with this level of understanding. But do we do this for others? Are we willing to forgive and extend compassion and encouragement to those we encounter? Are we willing to do for others what God does for us on a daily basis? Shouldn’t we?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: