Daily Devotional for February 14, 2011

Psalm 30
I will praise you, LORD! You saved me from the grave and kept my enemies from celebrating my death. I prayed to you, LORD God, and you healed me, saving me from death and the grave.

Your faithful people, LORD, will praise you with songs and honor your holy name. Your anger lasts a little while, but your kindness lasts for a lifetime. At night we may cry, but when morning comes we will celebrate.

I was carefree and thought, "I'll never be shaken!" You, LORD, were my friend, and you made me strong as a mighty mountain. But when you hid your face, I was crushed. I prayed to you, LORD, and in my prayer I said, "What good will it do you if I am in the grave? Once I have turned to dust, how can I praise you or tell how loyal you are? Have pity, LORD! Help!"

You have turned my sorrow into joyful dancing. No longer am I sad and wearing sackcloth. I thank you from my heart, and I will never stop singing your praises, my LORD and my God.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I asked a friend if her three-year-old daughter was excited about Valentine’s Day, and she said her child really didn’t know that this holiday existed. I replied, “Just wait… she will.” When I was teaching kindergarten, Valentine’s Day was almost a bigger deal for the children than Christmas. There is something about getting all of those colorful little cards and candies that delights young children. And even more, perhaps, they enjoy sending their own Valentines… picking out just the right one, painstakingly writing their name on them… and for possibly the first time, expressing love to someone else in a public manner.

If we’re honest, children of all ages enjoy Valentine’s Day. And like any other holiday, Valentine’s Day can get out of hand. Gifts and plans become grander with each year. We hear, “What will you do to top this next year?” And somewhere along the line, the true intent of this holiday becomes lost in the hearts, flowers, candy and more. Jesus commanded us to love one another… and to love others as we love ourselves. Somehow, if He commanded us to do a really bang-up job of this on February 14th, I missed it! Every day is supposed to be like Valentine’s Day if we love with the heart of Christ.

More importantly, we race around sharing our love and appreciation for everyone on the planet… and the One who truly deserves our lavish attention often gets very little, if anything. This Psalm is a tremendous “Valentine” to our Heavenly Father. The verses express how deeply the psalmist loves and appreciates God and all that He has done for us. And this would make a wonderful Valentine for us to pray to God… to read and study as we spend time sitting and thanking Him for loving us so well.

You will probably find this corny, but I like to tell my husband that every day with him is Valentine’s Day for me. I am blessed to have a husband, family and friends who love me so well. I hope I am loving them well in return… but most importantly, I hope I am loving my Heavenly Father well. Truly every day in His presence is Valentine’s Day… and today is a good day for us to start showing – and telling Him - just how much we love Him. We can use Psalm 30 as a starting point… or we can create our own “Valentine” for Him.

How will you express your love to the One who has loved you like no other? He lavishes us with Valentines every single day… what sort of Valentine have you selected for Him?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: