Daily Devotional for February 24, 2011

Psalm 31:12
I am completely forgotten like someone dead. I am merely a broken dish. I hear the crowds whisper, "Everyone is afraid!" They are plotting and scheming to murder me. But I trust you, LORD, and I claim you as my God. My life is in your hands. Save me from enemies who hunt me down. Smile on me, your servant. Have pity and rescue me.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

I was folding laundry, and I piled a stack of underwear on top of a stack of t-shirts, and the underwear fell over onto the floor. All of it had to be refolded. Now, at one point in my life, I would probably have groaned and grumbled and uttered some things I can’t repeat here. But this time, I picked up the clothing, laughed, and refolded it.

You’re probably wondering what folding underwear has to do with God, so I’ll tell you! As I refolded these pieces of clothing, I thought about how we are a lot like them. God washes us clean in the blood of Jesus. He folds us neatly and prepares us for another day. Then we fall… we lose our balance… we get distracted or overloaded and top heavy… and we tumble. And God, being God, picks us up, dusts us off and refolds us. He has pity on us and rescues us… even in our “brokenness”… and He restores us.

I would like to think that God looks at us and laughs…at least sometimes. More often, I think he is saddened by our falls and shortcomings. But He still loves us, just the same. I don’t know about you, but I am so grateful to serve a God who loves me like this. The devil would be glad to leave us on the floor in a heap to be trampled by anything and everyone. I am so glad to know that if – and when – I fall, God will rescue me and fold me back in place so that I am ready for another day in His service.

Isn’t it wonderful to know that we serve a God who can smile on us even in our broken state? Have you put your life in His hands and trusted Him to save you? When was the last time you thanked God for taking such good care of you? Isn’t it time you did?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: