Daily Devotional for August 16, 2011

Proverbs 18:22
Find a good spouse, you find a good life— and even more: the favor of GOD!

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

I was looking through some things in our “wedding book,” and I found a set of “recipe cards” that were written for me at a bridal shower. The cards were mostly completed by my friends who attended…all of whom were still in high school! So it was quite funny to read their advice now… 37 years later… and hear what they had to say… their “recipes” for a good marriage. Some told me to be sure to feed my husband well. Others told me to have lots of children and avoid arguments. Still others said, “If you need a place to get away, call me.” My own sister said, “It’s not too late until 7:00 p.m. on August 16th!

The advice was fun – and much of it was humorous and given with love and a laugh. But choosing a mate is not a laughing matter… and by the grace of God, I found a “good spouse.” And yes, I have a good life. I have found the favor of God, also… I see it in the many ways He blesses me every single day. And I am grateful… for His favor and blessings… and for giving me an incredible spouse.

My advice to those who are single and seeking a spouse someday would be to let God choose. Pray for wisdom and discernment… ask God to show you who He has selected to be your life mate. Trust Him to send you the perfect partner. Focus on pleasing God… and you will please your spouse in the bargain. There may still be arguments, and you may never be a gourmet cook. And yes, you may occasionally wish you could run away to a friend’s place and chill out for awhile. But overall, your life will be good… if you let God choose your mate.

If you let God have control and keep Him first, He will grant you favor and bless you in ways you and your spouse can’t begin to imagine. I will be honest… when I got married, I lacked the spiritual maturity to fully understand this. I know I felt God’s presence – and His approval of my choice – but I can’t say I truly asked God to bring me the perfect mate… the man of His choosing. Somehow I think my criteria might have been a little more “human” and selfish in nature. I’m so glad that God “had my back” anyway. I’m truly grateful that God gave me a “good spouse” who loves Him and seeks His will for himself – and for our family.

This advice is equally sound in so many other situations besides choosing a mate. And if you are already married, I pray that you have a “good spouse” who seeks God’s will and listens for His direction. I pray that you have a good life and experience the favor of God daily. I thank God for blessing me with such a wonderful husband… and I look forward to sharing in His favor upon us for many years to come.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: