Daily Devotional for August 24, 2011

Proverbs 20:24
The very steps we take come from GOD; otherwise how would we know where we're going?

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

A few weeks ago, Timothy and his family moved to Texas, so we didn’t see our little guy for seven weeks. Now, you may be saying that this is not such a long time, but for us, it seemed like seven years. I was reminded to cherish every moment with him. Now that he is here for an extended stay, I’m doing just that! If he doesn’t take a nap when I want, I try to enjoy watching him wind down – even if he’s fussy. When he wakes me at 4:45 a.m. and says “Jack!” as in “Jack’s Big Music Show,” I try to realize that 2-year-olds have no clock, and he has no clue that grownups are still trying to sleep at this hour!

All too soon, this little guy will be too old for his Aunt DebDeb and Uncle Greg, and our chances to nurture and dote on him will be greatly diminished. We will never get back the cute giggles… the day he first started stringing sentences together… or all of those wonderful, sticky hugs and kisses he has for us now. And it’s not just little ones… last week my grandmother tearfully said to me, “Things are changing.” At nearly 99, she sees her time slipping away, and so do we. Before you know it, she will be off to heaven, and we will no longer have the opportunity to benefit from her presence – and her wisdom and wit.

My point is that God has numbered our steps. If it weren’t for God showing us the way and guiding us, we wouldn’t have a clue how to act or what to do… and for most of us, the results would be disastrous! I believe that God is calling us to slow down, to quit dreaming that hot summer days would give way to fall. I believe He is saying, “Don’t wish it were winter… or next week or next year! Enjoy the day I have given you… this day… this hour. Do what I am calling you to do in this time frame - whether it’s playing with a toddler, spending time with an elderly loved one, or standing in line at the grocery store.”

I believe God wants us to be more present in the moment… to be awake and alert for His blessings and opportunities to serve in His name at all times… not just when it’s convenient, we’re rested, and all of the stars align in the universe!

How are you living these days? Are you aware Who numbers your steps? Are you wishing your life away and rushing through things, or are you truly present in the moment… serving God and praising Him for each second of the day? How do you know where you are going?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: