Daily Devotional for August 22, 2011

John 6:34-40
The people said, "Lord, give us this bread and don't ever stop!"

Jesus replied: I am the bread that gives life! No one who comes to me will ever be hungry. No one who has faith in me will ever be thirsty. I have told you already that you have seen me and still do not have faith in me. Everything and everyone that the Father has given me will come to me, and I won't turn any of them away.

I didn't come from heaven to do what I want! I came to do what the Father wants me to do. He sent me, and he wants to make certain that none of the ones he has given me will be lost. Instead, he wants me to raise them to life on the last day. My Father wants everyone who sees the Son to have faith in him and to have eternal life. Then I will raise them to life on the last day.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A youth pastor friend of mine conducted an experiment recently. He asked all of the youth in his group to do without certain things each day for eight days, in order to get a feel for those who are less fortunate. Here was their schedule:
• Day one: No bed
• Day two: Eat rice only
• Day three: Beg for lunch
• Day four: No shower/hygiene products
• Day four part two: No relying on parents/No eating out (they must take care of themselves)
• Day five: No media (no cell phones, no radio, no computer, no TV)
• Day six: No cars (you can bum a ride with someone else, bike or walk, but no cars)
• Day seven: Wear the same clothes you wore yesterday
• Day eight: Fast all day

At best, this experiment was mildly uncomfortable for the participants… and maybe it opened a few eyes to the challenges that many face every day. We cannot fathom needing food and water. We do not understand the concept of needing water… we truly have plenty of food to eat and water to drink. It probably doesn’t occur to us often – if at all – that others clamor for even one cup of water, or a small bowl of mealy mush to eat each day.

The GOOD NEWS is that there is not a single person on the planet who cannot have plenty of the “Bread of Life” and “Living Water” offered by Jesus Christ. Whether lying on a bare church floor with no bedding…or on the hot dusty desert floor of Somalia… we can all be assured that Jesus will never turn us away. He loves all of us and cares deeply about us.

What we don’t grasp… and what eluded the people in this passage from John… is that physical needs and Spiritual needs are not the same. “Why,” we ask…”must people go hungry and thirsty? Why must there be poor and needy among us? Why do bad things happen to good people?” I don’t have the whole answer… and maybe we’re not supposed to understand this fully. But what I do know is that sometimes, through our physical needs and suffering, we are better able to see the Spiritual food and provisions that God offers us through Jesus. Let’s remember, Jesus suffered, too. He understood hunger, thirst, abuse, and murder… firsthand!

What I want you to take away from this message today is that God offers us “food and water” that defies physical man… the sustenance that permeates our soul and matters for all eternity. This life, no matter how many years we are granted, is truly only a blip on the screen. But life in the presence of Almighty God lasts forever. I want in on it… don’t you? And I want to take as many people with me as I possibly can! I am grateful that I will probably never know true physical hunger or thirst. But I am even more grateful that, by God’s grace, I won’t know these needs Spiritually. Can you say the same?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: