Daily Devotional for August 17, 2011

Psalm 107:1-3
Shout praises to the LORD! He is good to us, and his love never fails. Everyone the LORD has rescued from trouble should praise him, everyone he has brought from the east and the west, the north and the south.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

My great-aunt Altha used to say, “Don’t borrow trouble.” And I will have to say, she practiced this motto fairly well. She chose not to dwell on unpleasant thoughts… and at least appeared to put them out of her mind. But for many of us, troubles are like an old security blanket that we wrestle and wallow and continually hold tightly to our chests. We know that God is faithful to answer our prayers. We know that He has rescued us from past troubles. But instead of praising Him and resting in the comfort of knowing that He will do this again, we worry and wallow!

I will admit that I have my moments. I want to pick up burdens and troubles and carry them around like an old, familiar blanket. But I’m learning more and more every day about trusting God and praising Him… especially in times of trouble. God has rescued me so many times. All I have to do is reflect a moment on how much He has loved me and cared for me in the past to realize that He is still in the business of being good to His children!

So stop and take a deep breath. Whatever you are going through today… and I mean whatever is troubling you… remind yourself that God is in control, and He is in the business of rescuing His children from trouble. Ask Him to take care of your burdens for you… your challenges, ailments, sorrows and grief - and your worries of all sorts. Thank Him in advance for handling these things for you. Then step out in confidence that all will be well.

This is not pie-in-the-sky dreams… this is the truth! It may seem like your world is crashing down around you… you may feel the walls caving in… but God is there to hold everything together and rescue you. All you have to do is let Him… believe in His power… and thank Him for His love.

Don’t borrow trouble… let God have it all. Give Him praise for His unfailing, amazing love and care… and thank Him for being so good to us.

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: