Daily Devotional for August 23, 2011

August 23 ~ John 6:43-46
Jesus said, "Don't bicker among yourselves over me. You're not in charge here. The Father who sent me is in charge. He draws people to me—that's the only way you'll ever come. Only then do I do my work, putting people together, setting them on their feet, ready for the End. This is what the prophets meant when they wrote, 'And then they will all be personally taught by God.' Anyone who has spent any time at all listening to the Father, really listening and therefore learning, comes to me to be taught personally—to see it with his own eyes, hear it with his own ears, from me, since I have it firsthand from the Father. No one has seen the Father except the One who has his Being alongside the Father—and you can see me.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

My sister and her husband and I attended a funeral visitation recently for Leon McAnear, the father of our lifelong friends, Lesa and Laura. There was a huge crowd of people who came to visit with this family and pay their respects to a wonderful, Godly man. My little great-nephew Timothy came with his grandparents, and he was in awe of all of the people. As we sat on pews in the funeral home chapel, Timothy snuggled into the relative safety of my lap and watched the crowd. And when someone would come by and speak, he would smile and maybe say “Hi!” or “Bye!” When they would laugh, he would laugh. When someone waved, he waved. He was drawn into the activity and made an attempt to fit in by mimicking the behaviors of others.

We all do this, to some degree. Most of us have a deep desire to fit in… to be a part of things. And we are naturally drawn to those who seem to exhibit characteristics we like… or who appear to have what we want. God sent Jesus to teach us about Him. Part of God’s plan is for us to be drawn to Jesus… to want what He has… to mimic His behavior. And as Disciples of Christ, we are in turn agents for our Heavenly Father.

We are to live in such a way that others see Jesus in us… that they want what we have. I don’t mean this in a materialistic sense… or even that others want to be like us in terms of personality, mannerisms, or even how we think in general. But God does want others to see the glory and salvation offered through Jesus Christ… He wants others to look at us and say, “If that’s living for Jesus, sign me up!” He wants us to model Christian behavior... not with Oscar-winning performances, but out of a deep, genuine love for Him and a desire to live out our faith every single day.

Leon McAnear was one of the most faithful Christians I ever knew. At his service, a friend and fellow church member spoke about Leon’s life and demeanor. He said that in recent months, Leon visited his office, and this friend said he knew Leon was not well, yet he seemed happy and upbeat. The friend asked, “Leon, how do you do it? I never see you down. I know you don’t feel well, yet you are always so happy.” Mr. McAnear replied, “I choose to count my blessings every day.” The friend concluded that we were better for having known this faithful servant of God.

My question is… are people better for having known you? Do you count your blessings every day? Do others see Jesus in you and desire to experience for themselves the same relationship with Him that you enjoy? Have you truly seen the Father through Jesus Christ… and do others see Him through you?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: