Daily Devotional for August 30, 2011

Psalm 108:1-5
Our God, I am faithful to you with all my heart, and you can trust me. I will sing and play music for you with all that I am. I will start playing my harps before the sun rises. I will praise you, LORD, for everyone to hear; I will sing hymns to you in every nation. Your love reaches higher than the heavens, and your loyalty extends beyond the clouds. Our God, may you be honored above the heavens; may your glory be seen everywhere on earth.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Everybody needs a hero, and I’ve had a dandy. For more than fifty-four years, I’ve been encouraged and nurtured by a remarkable lady who shared my birthday. Yesterday, she went to heaven… less than 48 hours after her beloved baby girl died. “MawMac,” as I called her, was really Geraldine McCurry. She took great pride in being the wife of the local Chevrolet dealer, Andrew McCurry… and mother to three girls - Andrea, Marsha, and Mary.

As Andrea wrote in Mary’s obituary, “…a tragic accident at birth caused her to be severely physically handicapped by cerebral palsy. Because of her condition, she was never able to walk, talk, use her hands or be able to care for herself in any way. However, she devised a method of communication when she was about a year and a half old using her eyes. For those who took the time to learn to "talk" with Mary, they found a warm, loving, rather bawdy personality with a little streak of the devil.” Mary would have been 60 this October. Mary’s family and all who knew her loved her dearly. And in a time when many children with cerebral palsy were hidden away in institutions, the McCurrys never treated Mary with such disdain. MawMac and her family were ahead of their time in recognizing that Mary was a bright girl trapped in a body that betrayed her… and they did all they could to make life as “normal” as possible for this precious girl.

As further proof of this, a friend recalled on Facebook the Sunday that Mrs. McCurry wheeled Mary to the front of our church sanctuary, where she said Mary was wishing to make a profession of faith in Jesus Christ and be baptized. MawMac said, “I just couldn’t hold her back any longer… she insisted on coming to the altar.” That was our MawMac… dedicated to her children… and to her God. She was also fiercely patriotic. I like to joke that I am a “Firecracker Baby” because of my July 4th birthday… but MawMac truly was… and she had a collection of red/white/blue memorabilia that defies belief – down to a life-sized “Uncle Sam!” This past July 4th, she wore a new blouse fashioned by her daughters to fit her 4-ft frame… featuring red/white/blue stars, of course! She wore it with red/white/blue shoes, and – what else? – a headband with shooting stars that bobbled along! Did I mention that MawMac was 93 on her last birthday?

If you didn’t get a chance to know Geraldine “MawMac” McCurry in this lifetime, you will hopefully meet her in heaven. She will be the one standing with Jesus, tall and stately, healed from the osteoporosis that shrunk her tiny frame by almost 5 inches… and she will be talking and greeting everyone who enters the Pearly Gates! MawMac taught me a lot about life and overcoming challenges and obstacles… but she taught me more about faith and devotion. She hardly ever missed a church service (or anything else in our community, for that matter!), and she was one of the most devoted Christians I ever knew. She wasn’t preachy or one of those who spouted scripture and lectured about sinful behaviors. She merely modeled the teachings of Jesus… every single day of her life.

I know MawMac wasn’t perfect. I’m sure she had her moments. But I never saw them. I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that she and Mary are dancing with Jesus… two faithful women who were loyal to Him without fail. This scripture passage is so fitting for Geraldine and Mary. I know they are having a celebration to end all celebrations… and because of this, I feel like singing and dancing, too – in spite of my sadness.

The more of my loved ones who pass on and go to heaven, the more real heaven becomes to me. It’s a glorious resting place for those who have chosen to follow Jesus, and I am so looking forward to joining the party there. Will you be along? Do you know Jesus in the way MawMac and Mary know Him? Do you live for Him each day – and will you dance and sing His praises even into Eternity? You can! Who – or what – is holding you back? Isn’t it time you raced down the altar, so to speak, like Mary did… and secured your place at the party?

I ask you to please stop and thank God today for heroes like MawMac… for Godly women who are devoted to their Heavenly Father, their family, church and community. Pray for those who will miss her… and thank God for welcoming her and Mary to His banquet table. I’m sure they’ve saved a seat nearby for me… and I am looking forward to seeing them again someday. Won’t you join us?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: