Daily Devotional for August 6, 2011

Psalm 103:12-16
How far has the LORD taken our sins from us? Farther than the distance from east to west! Just as parents are kind to their children, the LORD is kind to all who worship him, because he knows we are made of dust. We humans are like grass or wild flowers that quickly bloom. But a scorching wind blows, and they quickly wither to be forever forgotten.

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

One of my favorite songs is “East to West,” performed by Casting Crowns. Based on this passage from Psalm 103, the chorus says, “Jesus, can You show me just how far the east is from the west…'cause I can't bear to see the man I've been come rising up in me again. In the arms of Your mercy I find rest… 'cause You know just how far the east is from the west - from one scarred hand to the other”. I think of outstretched arms of Jesus… and an area more vast than the arms can encompass… and that still isn’t big enough to cover how far God has scattered my sin! Amazing, isn’t it?!

To think that our all-knowing, all-powerful, Almighty God loves us enough to scatter these sins like a burned up flower that has turned to dust not only amazes me… it humbles me, as well. We’ve all picked up a dandelion and blown the spores and watched them scatter. We’ve all put two dirty, dusty hands together and swiped them back and forth as the sandy particles disappeared. But to think that God does that with our sins and mercifully, graciously sets us upright to live another day is something I have a hard time understanding... but I’ll take it!

Where are your sins today? Are you holding onto them, carrying them like a heavy burden? Or have you handed them to God and let him blow them from east to west like the spores of a dandelion? Has He taken your transgressions and dusted them from His hands and set you back on the path to righteousness? Have you left your failures and shortcomings at the foot of the cross and let Jesus wash them away with His very blood? How long are you going to resist? How long are you going to wallow in sin and sorrow?

“East to west” is one of the most joyful phrases I know. It reminds me that God loves me more than I can ever begin to understand. And the good news is that our understanding of the depth of His love is not necessary. All we have to do is give God our burdens and sins, and ask Him to forgive us. He will handle the dusting and scattering… "from one scarred hand to the other."

©2011 Debbie Robus
“East to West” – Casting Crowns – The Altar and the Door - ©2007

No comments: