Daily Devotional for August 8, 2011

John 5:41-44
I'm not interested in crowd approval. And do you know why? Because I know you and your crowds. I know that love, especially God's love, is not on your working agenda. I came with the authority of my Father, and you either dismiss me or avoid me. If another came, acting self-important, you would welcome him with open arms. How do you expect to get anywhere with God when you spend all your time jockeying for position with each other, ranking your rivals and ignoring God?

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson. Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO. All rights reserved.

Turn on the television, and you will find countless programs where people are clamoring to “be Somebody!” From the winner of Survivor to The Biggest Loser to the writer of the next Platinum Hit or HGTV’s Design Star and more… people want to be on top. Turn on a sports channel, and you will find athletes hoping to be a first-round draft pick or the winner of this award or that… or a whole team wanting to come out on top in the championship. Clearly, we are wired for crowd approval.

The sad thing is that we are so hungry for human approval… yet the approval that matters gets kicked to the curb. And I believe this is why so many human beings are discontent at best… and downright miserable in many cases. A few years ago, I wrote a song that I titled “I Am a Child of God.” In one of the verses, I said, “I used to care what others thought of me… it mattered that they liked me and approved. I wanted the assurance that in me, they could see something that was acceptable… something that was good.” Later, a verse says, “I tried to do the things that I thought would please others. But in the end, no one was pleased, and everything went wrong.” Do you relate to these phrases?

When I learned to focus on pleasing only God, everything else started to fall into place. When I realized that the most important Being in the room was my Heavenly Father, and He was the only One who truly mattered…a huge weight was lifted. As long as we recognize – and welcome – God into our day, He will take care of the rest. If you have focused on giving God top priority… First Place… you can rest assured that He will meet your every need.

Doors will open… “championships” (of God’s choosing) will come. You will find a “position” in life – the one God chooses for you… and it will be exactly right. Will you win a sweepstakes or be elected to high office? Will people be rushing to your side and vying for your friendship and affection? Only if this is what fits into God’s grand plan. Will it matter if it doesn’t happen? Not one bit! What will matter is what God thinks… and He thinks you are the most important thing ever! What God brings to you is what counts… not the approval and accolades of the world.

So what will you do with the rest of your life? Will you spend it wandering aimlessly, so to speak… seeking the recognition and approval of mere mortals… the fleeting rewards and temporary thrills of feeling important to other human beings who are seeking the same sort of recognition and acceptance? Or will you focus on pleasing God… welcome Him with open arms and place your fate and your future in His hands? Will you bask in the glory of being His precious child? Will you make God most important in your life and focus on His love? He can make you a true champion… God can give you what you’ve been looking for all along. Are you ready to turn around and greet Him?

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: