Daily Devotional for August 7, 2011

Psalm 103:17-22
The LORD is always kind to those who worship him, and he keeps his promises to their descendants who faithfully obey him. God has set up his kingdom in heaven, and he rules the whole creation. All of you mighty angels, who obey God's commands, come and praise your LORD! All of you thousands who serve and obey God, come and praise your LORD! All of God's creation and all that he rules, come and praise your LORD! With all my heart I praise the LORD!

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

A new “craze” has developed on Facebook, as people across the country are starting pages for their hometown… like “You know you’re from Heber Springs, Arkansas, when…” People post their memories, and others comment and add to them. So far, it’s been a lot of fun… and truly heartwarming. As a fifth-generation resident of this county, my “roots” run deep. I’ll admit, when someone speaks less than favorably about my home town… especially if something particularly critical or unkind is said… I bristle and get a little cranky!

I’m sure many could say the same thing about other “home towns,” but mine has served my family well. I feel a rich heritage here… my father-in-law and grandfather were both mayors of Heber Springs. My great-great-great-grandfather operated a general store near Wilburn well over 100 years ago… a great-grandfather was a barber in a downtown shop, and a second-great-uncle ran the local livery (all important businesses in their day!). My grandmother drove one of the three school buses in our district for about 12 years… before and after serving as a chair-side assistant to one of our town’s two or three dentists. I can’t begin to count how many people know my mother as “’Miss Arline,’ the woman who taught me piano, voice, and organ – or was my kindergarten teacher!”

More than this, I can scarcely go to Wal-Mart or a funeral in this town without seeing someone who was a Girl Scout leader, Sunday School teacher, or mentor to me in some way. I grew up in a time when every adult nurtured all the town’s children, to some extent. And in that regard, countless people modeled for me a faithful worship of our Heavenly Father. I certainly didn’t realize this at the time… and maybe they didn’t, either. But God was at work, building a legacy in the children of my home town through the adults who resided here. And as many of us grew into faith-filled Christians, God’s kindnesses and promises continued to us… and hopefully beyond to those in our own paths.

I am thankful to have grown up in such a wonderful, nurturing community. My home town was far from perfect, but the love for one another – and the abiding faith in God and His promises – was constant in ways both obvious and subtle. People are nostalgic for their home town in cities of all sizes. And surely God has worked in major urban metropolises and the smallest “holes in the road.” But I am grateful He chose to plant me in this location… and I am humbled to think that I have an opportunity to continue a legacy here… both in the community, and in the Kingdom of Heaven.

Are you a good steward of all God has given you? Are you building a legacy for your descendants… one that shows respect for your community and God’s Kingdom? Are you one who gripes and complains… or someone who praises and elevates - both the people in your circle and your community at large? Are you serving God with faith, obedience, and praise? When people reminisce about your community in years to come, will they recall the people and places God used to bless and nurture them… and will you be among them? Will you have helped to continue a legacy of faith and obedience that resulted in fulfilled promises and kindness from the LORD?

Take time today to thank God for planting you where He did… for giving you the opportunity to serve Him wherever you are… and to add to a foundation of faith and kindness – blessings and promises… for generations to come. Commit to being the best citizen of God’s kingdom – and your local community – that you can possibly become. And in all things… with all your heart… come and praise your LORD!

©2011 Debbie Robus

No comments: