Daily Devotional for March 12, 2015

John 3:19-21
Their sentence is based on this fact: that the Light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the Light, for their deeds were evil.  They hated the heavenly Light because they wanted to sin in the darkness. They stayed away from that Light for fear their sins would be exposed and they would be punished.   But those doing right come gladly to the Light to let everyone see that they are doing what God wants them to.”

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Our kitchen, living and dining areas are basically all one big room.  The “house and garden experts” call this “open concept living”.  One wall of this room is almost completely covered in windows that start about knee-high and go all the way to the ceiling.  So early on sunny mornings, this room is flooded with bright light!  And I will tell you, there have been mornings that I wished for darkness!  Every single speck of dust…every crumb…every piece of lint, fuzz (and cat hair) shows in that bright light. 

I am not nearly as diligent with my housekeeping as I once was - so there are times when it looks pretty bad.  But I will also add that in the brightest of sunrises, I don’t think there is any amount of housekeeping that could prevent SOME dust from being exposed!  And that’s just how it is with our Christian fellowship!

There is a delicate balance between wishing the morning was dark enough that God wouldn’t so blatantly illuminate our sins and shortcomings…and feeling like you have done your best and can proudly live with what His bright “Sonlight” reveals.  Because you see, we will never be perfect…and by God’s grace and mercy, this is okay.  But we cannot use this as an excuse or a license to operate in darkness and expect God to forgive and forget.

Those bright days when the house is not as clean as it needs to be are a physical reminder to me of how my life in Christ may be on any given day.  And while I may not get any more zealous with my housekeeping any time soon, I am doing all I can to maintain a spotless home for God in my heart.  I want to fellowship with Him in a way that never causes embarrassment to either of us.  I want to be able to stand in God’s bright light and know that I am flawed, but forgiven…less than perfect, but loved anyway.  I want to know that I have given Him my very best…and I have nothing to hide. What about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: