Daily Devotional for March 14, 2015

John 5:22-24, 30
And the Father leaves all judgment of sin to his Son, so that everyone will honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. But if you refuse to honor God’s Son, whom he sent to you, then you are certainly not honoring the Father.

“I say emphatically that anyone who listens to my message and believes in God who sent me has eternal life, and will never be damned for his sins, but has already passed out of death into life.

“But I pass no judgment without consulting the Father. I judge as I am told. And my judgment is absolutely fair and just, for it is according to the will of God who sent me and is not merely my own.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

When my Mam-ma Polly got older, I was given her Durable Power of Attorney.  This meant that I could make major decisions for her in matters of pertaining to her personal business and her health. I could sign papers on her behalf, make decisions such as engaging Hospice care, and choose her primary care physician.  My grandmother had entrusted me with the authority to make these decisions.  But as long as she was able to communicate with me, I still consulted her before giving my final answer.  So even a couple of weeks before she died, I asked her if she wanted to go to the ER after she fell in her room and hit her head.  She adamantly told me, “NO!”  And after I carefully assessed the situation and consulted Hospice nurses and other family members, we did not go.

Before she lost her ability to speak, Mam-ma would often wave off a major decision (literally with a wave of the hand) and say, “Whatever y’all decide is okay with me.”  Now, I will admit that sometimes she said this with all of the pitiful sarcasm her voice could muster…but in her heart of hearts, she knew that I would never disrespect her – or make a decision that I felt would be harmful in any way.  My Mam-ma Polly knew that I had her back!

God gave Jesus authority over each of us and decisions with regard to our care – and our eternal destiny.  As the One who suffered, bled and died for our sins, it seems only right that Jesus would have the say over whether our petition to belong to Him is granted or not.  But notice that even Jesus still consults the Heavenly Father…that there is a deference and respect for Almighty God – even at this “level”.

What does this mean for us?  This passage reminds us of God’s authority and power…and also of His love, grace, mercy and compassion.  Even Jesus Christ, who died for our sins and has the complete and final say over whether we are forgiven of them for all eternity, still listens for His Father’s voice.  He still respects God’s “place” as the ultimate and final word on all matters.  And we must value this, also.  We must trust that in the end, it’s all up to God…and He has our back!

We must also remind ourselves to respect the earthly “chain of command”.  We must honor the “position” of those in power and authority, even when we might not agree with their decisions.  We must always offer them respect and behave toward them as would honor and please God.  This may often mean biting our tongue and keeping our opinions – and ugly thoughts – to ourselves.

Sometimes in our earthly judgments, we have to make hard decisions that go against the preference of an elder or someone in authority.  I am not telling you to lie for your boss…or to allow your ailing or aging parent or loved one to make a choice that will be harmful to them or someone else.  This is where we must turn to God and ask, “What do I do now?” And He will answer!

I am so glad to know that Jesus chose me…that He deemed me worth saving.  And I am grateful to know that He has my back…each and every minute of the day.  I am doing all I can to honor this gift...to ensure that MY decisions mirror His will in each and every situation.  I am constantly listening for His voice and seeking His opinion…what about you?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: