Daily Devotional for March 23, 2015

Philippians 3:15-19
So let’s keep focused on that goal, those of us who want everything God has for us. If any of you have something else in mind, something less than total commitment, God will clear your blurred vision—you’ll see it yet! Now that we’re on the right track, let’s stay on it.

Stick with me, friends. Keep track of those you see running this same course, headed for this same goal. There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I’ve warned you of them many times; sadly, I’m having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ’s Cross. But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.

Scripture quotations from The Message. © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002 by Eugene Peterson.  Used by permission of NavPress, Colorado Springs, CO.  All rights reserved.

It started simply enough…I opened a drawer in the kitchen one morning, rummaged for what I was needing, and ended up taking everything out of the drawer and reorganizing it.  Soon, I had moved on to the next drawer…and the next…and a couple of hours later, every drawer in the kitchen had been cleaned and organized.  I felt like a new woman! That was early January.  I was so inspired and motivated by my newly organized kitchen drawers that I moved on to other drawers and closets. 

I am not finished, but I am just a closet and a couple of drawers away from having reorganized my entire house.  It’s not perfect…by a long stretch.  And I bet I could go back through and weed out even more unnecessary “stuff” and make things look a whole lot better.  But I am very much a “work in progress” – even in the areas of closets and drawers!

I’ll admit…more than once, I got sidetracked – and discouraged.  After all, what difference does it make if there is a mess behind the cabinet doors?  Who cares what’s in the drawers... and is it really worth my time and energy to finish this project?  I only had to think of the time I’ve wasted looking for a particular fastener or thread spool in my sewing cabinet to realize that the days I spent organizing, cleaning and alphabetizing these items will make my future sewing projects – and other activities - go so much smoother.  And I will be able to accomplish a lot more with less stress!

The old adage that anything worth doing is worth doing right is true…and nowhere more  than in our Spiritual life.  If we are going to do this “Disciple of Christ thing”…if we are going to walk with Jesus, follow His teachings, share His Good News, and bask in His blessings…doesn’t it make sense to stay on course and do the hard work? 

Jesus does not offer us short-cuts to full-blown discipleship…and with good reason – He doesn’t take them, either!  Read the New Testament and study His 30+ years on this earth.  Read Paul’s letters and see how Jesus left a legacy of ministry with His disciples…to be carried on through the generations – even to us and beyond.  There is very little that is easy and simple, once you open your heart and invite Jesus to dwell there and guide your every breath.  But oh, it’s so worth the effort.  The joy and blessings you feel in opening your Spiritual “closet and drawers” and finding peace and organization… purpose and overflow…are so worth any struggle and challenge.

Will everything stay neat and orderly?  Probably not?  Will you have to reorganize a “drawer or closet” from time to time – both spiritually and physically?  Most likely.  Will it be worth the effort?  Most definitely!

Won’t you make this the day that you start to get organized…in your Spiritual fellowship with Jesus AND maybe your physical life?  Will this be the day that you open your heart and see Christ in charge instead of chaos?  Are you ready to get busy “cleaning” and get back on the right path?  Don’t you think you should be? 


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: