Daily Devotional for March 17, 2015

Matthew 25:33-40
He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, “My father has blessed you! Come and receive the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world was created. When I was hungry, you gave me something to eat, and when I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you welcomed me, and when I was naked, you gave me clothes to wear. When I was sick, you took care of me, and when I was in jail, you visited me.”

Then the ones who pleased the Lord will ask, “When did we give you something to eat or drink? When did we welcome you as a stranger or give you clothes to wear or visit you while you were sick or in jail?”

The king will answer, “Whenever you did it for any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you did it for me.”

Scripture taken from the Contemporary English Version © 1991,1992, 1995 by American Bible Society, Used by Permission.

Yesterday, a card arrived in the mail from my friend Connie.  On the front was a cute little fuzzy kitten, and inside, Connie had written a note expressing how sad she was for us when she read my post on Facebook about the death last week of our cat, Lucy…and how she was praying for our peace and comfort.  DOZENS of others commented to my post to express their sympathies…and we were greatly comforted by each and every word. In each one of these gestures, I felt the love of Jesus. I felt His hand on my shoulder…His arms wrapped tightly around me…His peace and comfort flooding my heart. 

Sunday morning, the children settled on a rug at church for their Sunday school opening.  I was kneeling on the floor nearby.  Suddenly, Zola stood up and ran to me, threw her arms around my neck, and planted a big kiss on my cheek…then she ran back to her spot on the rug. That little almost-4-year-old girl will never know the impact of her gesture…but for me, it was like a kiss from Jesus!

We underestimate the power of little things…a smile…a gentle touch…a hug…a simple comment on Facebook or a wave across the aisle or parking lot at Wal-Mart.  As much as true Christian discipleship is about getting into God’s word and spending time in prayer and fellowship – with Him and others – it’s also about being the hands and feet of Jesus in ways great and small. 

Sometimes we get so busy trying to APPEAR “Christian” through things like attending worship services, meetings and Bible studies...writing out big checks to the church...and making sure that everything “looks pretty”…and we forget to “be a sheep who feeds the sheep” in Jesus’ name.  When we do this, we are instantly thrust into the “goat” pen.  I don’t know about you, but that’s not where I want to be!

Look around today.  Who needs to be “fed, clothed, healed, comforted or visited” by you in Jesus’ name?  Who is ministering to YOU in this manner?  Do you recognize the power and presence of God in these gestures?  Do you understand that THIS is our true role as Christian disciples…letting the love of Christ flow through us to others in this manner…sharing Him with each other through acts of love, respect and service?  Are you acting like a “sheep”…or have you somewhat become a “goat”?  This is the perfect day to “change pens”!  Are you ready to make a move?


©2015 Debbie Robus

No comments: