Daily Devotional for March 5, 2015

John 17:6-11
“I have told these men all about you. They were in the world, but then you gave them to me. Actually, they were always yours, and you gave them to me; and they have obeyed you. Now they know that everything I have is a gift from you, for I have passed on to them the commands you gave me; and they accepted them and know of a certainty that I came down to earth from you, and they believe you sent me.

“My plea is not for the world but for those you have given me because they belong to you. And all of them, since they are mine, belong to you; and you have given them back to me with everything else of yours, and so they are my glory! Now I am leaving the world, and leaving them behind, and coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your own care—all those you have given me—so that they will be united just as we are, with none missing.

The Living Bible copyright © 1971 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

Arkansas was blanketed yesterday with a heavy coating of sleet and snow.  Facebook is flooded today with pictures of children sledding, beautiful snow scenes, and reports of how many inches of “the white stuff” accumulated.  Several of our friends have posted pictures of kiddos on makeshift sleds and more – pulled through the ice and snow by their dads and friends.  This brought back fond memories of my own childhood, when we would sled on the city streets with my dad and my cousins. 

There was one particularly long, steep street that was the “go-to” hill.  It spanned about three city blocks in length and culminated at Main Street, where bales of hay and saw horses blocked any potential thru traffic.  My dad and my cousin Leo would park their pickup trucks on the street one block above Main and load up sledders to haul them back to the top of the run for another exciting trip downhill.  We did this over and over until we were frozen like Popsicles
®.  Then we would go home and warm up before returning.  A bonfire was built in the yard of one home near the top, and it seemed like half the town gathered there for a few days/evenings to share in the fun.

My dad and my cousins are all gone now…and I’m pretty sure that the city doesn’t allow sledding on this street these days – much less a bonfire in someone’s front yard!…but the memories remain. What does this have to do with the presence of God and this scripture passage?  Like the memories we make as children…the teachings of Jesus remain with us. As these adults stopped what they were doing for a few days of play, Jesus has given us His time and teachings…His love and nurture.  And in doing so, He laid a foundation for our faith…provided us with life lessons, hope and promise…and sustained us with faith and confidence as we bring Him to mind in our daily living.

I no longer engage in sledding.  Instead, I am enjoying the beauty of this snowy landscape from the warmth and coziness of my home as I look out the windows.  But I “feel” the joy and excitement of my childhood.  I recall the exuberance of chilly wind in my face, hot cocoa to warm me, and the thrill of that long ride down the hill.  I remember the lessons in “sledding technique” and safety.  And I treasure the memory of those loving adults who nurtured me and facilitated such precious memories.

In the same manner, I bask in the presence of God. I ponder the earthly life of Jesus and study His teachings…and I try to apply them to my own life.  I feel His love and nurture…and I gratefully appreciate His blessings and gifts.  I treasure the legacy that He left…the hope and promise that we will be together again in Heaven someday.  And I am incredibly comforted to know how much God loves me.

As you go about your day, consider the “memories” and legacy that God has given to you through Jesus Christ.  Even if it’s not a snowy day where you are, take some time to sit quietly and reflect on God’s presence – and His promises.  Embrace the warmth and coziness of His love and care…and thank Him for what is yet to come!


©2015 Debbie Robus 

No comments: